Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
The KC do the best they can within there area of expertise. They are not a welfare organisation therefore they do not have the power the likes of the RSPCA feo example have. Also as the majority of BYB PF dont register there dogs with the KC, they had no say whatsover.
With regards to money they take in have you any figures to back this up, I know it costs a lot to register your puppies but have you any idea how many staff they have to pay.

According to their yearly report the income was £11.8m. Their expenditure was £11.3m. It's not like they're making millions every year is it. £500,000 isn't that much profit for a company of their size.

Debs
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Ooooh Becky! You beat me to it

Debs
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Well that came as a surprise to me but like I said I don't claim to know what the KC have done in the last few years. If they are making so little profit it's no wonder they don't want to crack down on BYB and puppy farmers by stating that KC registered doesn't necessarily mean quality.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by mcgregorkh View Post
Well that came as a surprise to me but like I said I don't claim to know what the KC have done in the last few years. If they are making so little profit it's no wonder they don't want to crack down on BYB and puppy farmers by stating that KC registered doesn't necessarily mean quality.
If you'd like to know more about what the KC are doing and planning on doing, have a look here and read the annual report.

It explains the advances they've made far better than I did earlier

Debs
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for that link, I did find it interesting and I can see that they have been doing some good things behind the scenes.
They seem to want to promote good breeding ethics and have made these tests available but are not insisting that they are done and leaving it up to personal choice, naturally the BYBs aren't going to give a monkeys what is or isn't available and the general public aren't being made fully aware of the facts with regards of what KC registration really means.
The report says that registrations are up which says to me that people are cottoning on that no papers is not good but they aren't cottoning onto the fact that papers doesn't necessarily mean ethically bred. The BYB are just buying cheap dogs with papers and registering the litters.

Most if not all of the photos on that report are from the showing/Crufts angle again enforcing the idea that KC pedigree dogs are the best, this is my beef against the KC.

A solution needs to be found to put a stop to this, I am sure no-one on here advocates the unethical breeding of dogs, but until the general public are made fully aware of the facts things just won't change
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 08:51 PM
That's why ethical breeders need to 'advertise' on all the puppy selling sites mentioning health tests etc, that way, even if they don't contact you a little bit of what you have said will sink in.
Becky
kathy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2007, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=joanne8888;1193667]I think some of you have misunderstood me, I am backing a campaign to try to get the KC more involved when something goes wrong,

I paid top wack for my dog, the pedigree on the surface seemed bloody good............until I found out the progeny and how bad silblings were

Did my breeder want to know...no
Did the Kennel Club want to know...no

Is the breeder still breeding bad dogs....yes

If this campaign works it will close down alot of these puppy farms, a lot of councils at the minute are checking that breeders are licenced and are working with the KC, so the campaign is starting to get its voice heard.......again I can follow my dreams

Thank you so so much for the support you have given[/QUOTEHi Joanne and Im sorry that your puppy has problems, but am a little confused as usually the people that buy from this type of breeder are usually people that buy on impulse and do not do any research, but you seemed to know about pedigrees (not that it would guarantee quality) but if you knew that much and seemingly had researched your chosen breed did you not ask to see proof of the various health checks relevant to that breed which a good breeder would have complied with. Im not having a "go" at you I have unwittingly bought from such a breeder in the past but since then have made sure I would only buy from a breeder that cared enough to do health testing Not preaching but I do think when we have to take some responsibility to check out just what we are buying
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
That's why ethical breeders need to 'advertise' on all the puppy selling sites mentioning health tests etc, that way, even if they don't contact you a little bit of what you have said will sink in.
Becky
Good god, someone who agrees with me on this

I've been saying this for ages and arguing with other breeders in my breed about this, as I'm sick of hearing "But we don't need to advertise".................that isn't the point, the general public need to be able to compare.

Afterall if they are paying exactly the same for a dog, they should at least have the opportunity to decide on whether they want a crap bred one or a well bred one for the same money, and it will highlight the diffences between bad breeders and good breeders.
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
I couldn't agree more.
Thats exactly why I do it. I have turned down quite a bit of stud work for various reasons. The latest was a real shame cos she was a cracking bitch who would compliment my boy, he got her health checks done but when I researched the pedigree she carried the white gene. Luckily he is arranging to have her spayed. However I am certain that many others will have taken their bitches to another dog instead of getting the health checks done.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Good god, someone who agrees with me on this

I've been saying this for ages and arguing with other breeders in my breed about this, as I'm sick of hearing "But we don't need to advertise".................that isn't the point, the general public need to be able to compare.

Afterall if they are paying exactly the same for a dog, they should at least have the opportunity to decide on whether they want a crap bred one or a well bred one for the same money, and it will highlight the diffences between bad breeders and good breeders.
Oh dear we're agreeing again :smt002
It's not advertising your puppies, although it needs to look that way, but getting the message across, you have to give puppy buyers the choice and let them make an informed decision. If all good breeders advertised on these places then the message would sink in even more!
Becky
Page 7 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »