View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Harry (working type Springer) is the same, he's very good at catching rabbits but doesn't like giving them up.
We are working on his loose but a rabbit is just too nice a prize to give up (even if you do get to bring it home for dinner at a later date)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:48 AM
My first GSD was very good at swiftly despatching sick rabbits in a big Myxi outbreak.
My current dogs aren`t really interested, but certainly I`d let them take a sitting rabit. Myxi is a vile and prolonged death, and still in the bunny population.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm not so bothered about the rabbit catching or the fact she didn't give it up, we can work that bit, she is after al only 20 weeks old.

It's the burying it that baffles me Mind you she does do a good job of it
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Jet loves to bury things too. Bones, toys, stones, shoes, stolen items of laundry............
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2012, 09:50 AM
At least she didnt eat it!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I am mean...I do not allow mine to chase anything anymore, since I stopped allowing Kerrie to catch and kill buns/squirrels, she has become much nicer to walk, and oddly, better with smaller dogs (predatory drift?)
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I am mean...I do not allow mine to chase anything anymore, since I stopped allowing Kerrie to catch and kill buns/squirrels, she has become much nicer to walk, and oddly, better with smaller dogs (predatory drift?)
Same here. I'm mean too then!

Not that Roxy would - she's clueless. Molly would chase, but not kill, she's too lazy! Plus she has a great recall and distance down if need be. Thankfully it's rarely needed, however I do put it in to practice several times a week just so I know she still has it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 05:54 PM
My two younger GSDs regularly catch, kill and eat rabbits (especially as myxi is a huge problem at the moment). I used to really hate it (as I hate to see anything being killed), but I suppose I have hardened myself to it now, and the only thing I am teaching is that they can go when I say so (and not when I don't ... as I don't want them thinking they can chase other things such as sheep!) and that they despatch them quickly and cleanly - which appears to be the case.

They certainly look well on all that fresh meat.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2