Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Guinea Pigs Inside

Hi All

Just to update you, oliver is getting much better now with his mange, doesnt have to go back to the vet unless it gets anyworse, we are putting cream on him every night although he does protest alot but its starting to heal up.

My next question is Oliver and Lucas are inside at the moment and its great cause they get loads more attention and in a room where we go all the time, can they stay inside all the time or is that bad for them, if they go outside when its warmer they wont get as much attention. If they stay inside then would i take them out for a play each day.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I always kept my guinea pigs inside but put them out in their run on nice days in the summer . They had a little shelter they could go in and I kept the run in the shade if it was very hot .
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I always kept my guinea pigs inside but put them out in their run on nice days in the summer . They had a little shelter they could go in and I kept the run in the shade if it was very hot .
Thats really interesting and im glad someone else keeps them inside, i was feeling guilty because i spent £70 on a outside hutch but since its been really really cold we brought them in and they just getting used to us picking them up and coming out more, so when its warmer could i leave them outside during the day as the outside hutch has got a run attached and then bring them in at night?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I have mine inside in the winter and they go out again in the warmer weather. It is fine for them to live inside and on nice days go outside to play in their run. Glad Oliver is getting better!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Thats really interesting and im glad someone else keeps them inside, i was feeling guilty because i spent £70 on a outside hutch but since its been really really cold we brought them in and they just getting used to us picking them up and coming out more, so when its warmer could i leave them outside during the day as the outside hutch has got a run attached and then bring them in at night?
Yes that's what I did . They are safer anyway . A neighbour of mine left hers out at night and it got killed by a fox .
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Yes that's what I did . They are safer anyway . A neighbour of mine left hers out at night and it got killed by a fox .
Oh no poor piggies naughty foxes, im really glad they can stay inside cause i love to see them whenever i can.
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Not only is it fine to keep pigs indoors, its actually highly recommended! And of course in the summer months they can go outside in a run or something. But obviously it will have to be when it really is warm, as a transition from inside to outside when its still slightly chilly could make them ill.