View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-12-2013, 09:21 PM
If you want to know the difference between Win 8 and.1 suggest you put the following into your browser

http://gizmodo.com/windows-8-1-revie...enc-1446625571
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by mrphilip View Post
If you want to know the difference between Win 8 and.1 suggest you put the following into your browser

Thanks Mr Philip. I haven't clicked your link yet but will be doing so tomorrow morning when I am more 'awake'.

Thank you very much.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by mrphilip View Post

Thanks Michael I had already read that and really wanted a personal opinion ..
There are still gripes to be had. Windows 8.1 is noteworthy for not explicitly introducing many changes, but there are still things it hasn't fixed
...I don't think I will be bothering then having just got this laptop set up how I want it after lots of sweat and tears . I am scared W8.1 will restore some of the nasties I got rid of
I am no spring chicken and new things don't come easy to me.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Thanks Michael I had already read that and really wanted a personal opinion ..

...I don't think I will be bothering then having just got this laptop set up how I want it after lots of sweat and tears . I am scared W8.1 will restore some of the nasties I got rid of
I am no spring chicken and new things don't come easy to me.
I'm feeling the same way. And waiting for my son to tell me it's the 'right time' to go ahead and install the upgrade to 8.1. He doesn't think it is .... yet.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2013, 12:54 PM
I got the start button and program list features back on win 8. Works well now. didn't need to do an upgrade though, just an update
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2013, 06:52 PM
It seems a little smoother and there is now a start menu of sorts, it fixed a bug I had with bluetooth and made some menus for settings a bit more intuitive. Not a massive difference really but I prefer it.
Meg
Supervisor

18-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
It seems a little smoother and there is now a start menu of sorts, it fixed a bug I had with bluetooth and made some menus for settings a bit more intuitive. Not a massive difference really but I prefer it.
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
I got the start button and program list features back on win 8. Works well now. didn't need to do an upgrade though, just an update
Thank you both
I don't have bluetooth. I already have a start menu of sorts with my shortcut (Window key + i key) and I can also readily access the programme list when I need to through 'settings' .

If that is all that is on offer I won't bother just now in case I get something I don't want (eg it has taken me ages to get rid of the new tab page with tiles instead of just a Google search box which may or may not be down to W8 ) .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Windows 8... The infuriating mess of an OS that brings me back to Windows Vista. I got the Windows 8.1 and it only made things worse. I have to sign into all my apps etc. using Microsoft, and if I want to sign out... I have to sign out of my entire computer and then sign back in.

Also, the start menu is annoying as can be. They line all your windows devices such as notepad etc in this long, disorganized line where you have to scan through ten million items to find anything, and it took me ages to find the small arrow at the bottom that tell you where to even look for these items.

Then you have the bugs... and they are abundant. Browser add-ons crash, links open in IE when my default is Chrome. Processes freeze and don't close properly. Stuff starts popping up when my mouse hovers near a certain area and sometimes I click it by accident.

AGHHHH I want my Windows 7 back...
Meg
Supervisor

24-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Windows 8... The infuriating mess of an OS that brings me back to Windows Vista. I got the Windows 8.1 and it only made things worse. I have to sign into all my apps etc. using Microsoft, and if I want to sign out... I have to sign out of my entire computer and then sign back in.

Also, the start menu is annoying as can be. They line all your windows devices such as notepad etc in this long, disorganized line where you have to scan through ten million items to find anything, and it took me ages to find the small arrow at the bottom that tell you where to even look for these items.

Then you have the bugs... and they are abundant. Browser add-ons crash, links open in IE when my default is Chrome. Processes freeze and don't close properly. Stuff starts popping up when my mouse hovers near a certain area and sometimes I click it by accident.

AGHHHH I want my Windows 7 back...
Thanks Myra everything is functioning with Winows 8
so I will avoid the upgrade to 8.1.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Thanks Myra everything is functioning with Winows 8
so I will avoid the upgrade to 8.1.
A great idea if ever I've heard one! I only got the 8.1 because the normal Windows 8 was irritating me, but it didn't make anything better..
Page 9 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 >