Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-12-2006, 02:02 AM

"When Animals Talk"

Hi

Just watched a TV Prog entitled "when animals talk"

It highlighted lots of amazing examples of diffent animals and how they communicate with people.

One of the main features was 'Bear' a golden retriever who turned up un-officially (at first) with his handler to help with the initial rescue of survivors and subsequent removal of bodies from the world trade centre terrorist attacks.

The whole thing just blew me away.

On September 11, 2001, Captain Scott Shields and his eleven- year-old golden retriever, Bear, traveled to Ground Zero from Greenwich, Connecticut to help in the rescue efforts at the World Trade Center. Bear was one of the first canines to search the rubble. He worked eighteen-hour days, and he is credited with finding many victims, including the beloved FDNY Chief Peter Ganci. Bear was injured while working the site and the periphery of his wound became cancerous. Although Bear recovered from this illness, he died one year later of multiple forms of cancer.

This "Tribute to Bear" area of "Rainbow Bridge" has been viewed
and approved as to authenticity of content by Bear's owner, comrade,
companion and friend, Captain Scott Shields.
However, it should be noted that Captain Shields always preferred to be
known as Bear's "dad" rather than his "owner." Indeed, he assisted Honey,
Bear's mother, in Bear's delivery when the little pup was born in November
of 1989...beneath Captain Shield's desk.
Thank you for sharing the memories and the images, Scott.

http://www.novareinna.com/bridge/bear.html

http://www.bearsearchandrescue.org/about.htm

I thought these links might be nice place to start for those that fancy a look although I suspect theres a lot on the net if you wanted to know more.

Phil