Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:34 AM

"You can't say that!!!"

Is what my husband said to me on last nights walk...

My friend Joy (who regularly comes for walks with me) and my husband (who rarely gets to come because of work) set off on possibly our last walk together before we move. We found some beautiful canals and even saw a heron up close!

In the distance on the canal we see a beautiful Border Terrier off lead approaching, Axel is also off lead so I'm not too worried.

The BT suddenly decides he wants to say hello quickly, the owner calls out "wait" and the dog does. Instantly.
I was really impressed so as we got closer the first thing I say is "Nice wait"

She thanks me and we allow our dogs to meet. We exchange pleasantries and go on our day. The moment we're out of earshot my husband says, "I know you say some weird stuff to dog people, but you really can't say that."

Me: "Say what? That was a normal dog encounter."
Husband: "You can't say 'nice weight'. It's weird. You don't say it to other people, you can't say it to dog people. It's not acceptable in any circumstances."
Me: "Of course I can, it's a complement. I said 'nice 'wait', nothing wrong with that.
Husband looking shocked and exasperated: "It's rude. End of. His weight is none of your business."
Me: "All I did was complement the owner on her excellent training, he waited as soon as asked and I was impressed. Nothing wrong with that."
Husband: "OHHHH!"

Penny drops. I love talking at cross purposes! Obviously it's easier to understand being written, but we really both thought we were in the right! We laughed for a good few minutes when we realised the misunderstanding.

Anyone else had a similar misunderstanding?

Also, would anyone be insulted to be complemented on their great training? I think I've said 'impressive recall' and other things before. I don't think about it beforehand, it's the first thing out of my mouth sometimes
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:35 AM
, now that's funny!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Why on earth would anyone be insulted by a compliment?!

I expect people to be impressed by my training!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't be insulted if anyone complimented my training. Far from it in fact! I'm not sure why anyone would be insulted by being complimented on their dogs behaviour or the hard work they'd put into getting it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:39 AM
That is really funny, poor hubby.
Lovely to come across a well trained dog though isn't it?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Not doggy orientated but when I was a kid I went through a stage of saying mass in front of words - there's going to be a mass argument here etc

Mum dragged me along to I can't even remember what it was about now but where the council have an open session about something that was going on in the local area, well the locals were in an full voice and all I said was 'there's going to be a mass debate now' and before I knew it, I got a clip around the ear hole and loads of dirty looks of mums cronies

Nt sure mum ever convinced them of what I actually meant
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
ROFLMAO
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Now if someone looks at Pereg and says that and means "weight" and not "wait", I am delighted!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 09:02 AM
hahha!

whenever I'm with my non-horsey friends and my crew of reprobates there's usually a few funny looks and sniggers!
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Bless him!

Yes have complimented other people's training more than once. People always like it. Am usually apologising for Whisper barking and muttering at their dog at the same time.

No real misunderstandings - other than hubby not hearing me properly which is a fairly frequent thing as he's pretty deaf, bless him!

We had a good laugh the other day when walking along with Whisper and some friends of ours with their young SBT - a lady with a beautiful St Bernard was approaching us. Whisper started muttering (not too loudly, given the size of the dog, lol) but the St Bernard stopped *dead* and was obviously too nervous to go past these two 'scary dogs!'

His owner was just shaking her head! Had a good fuss of him, he was fine when he realised our dogs weren't a 'threat' (he must have been three times their size!). First time I've fussed a SB. Wow his paws were big - lots of slobber though!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >