Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2012, 11:26 PM

Seriously considerig getting rabbit spayed 10months

Hi have been talking it over with our vet recentely about possibly getting our baby bunny spayed,never had any done before and we have no males only females but vet has asked us to consider the possibility as reduces chances of her getting cancers etc when older and none of our previous bunnies ever been affected by the following or our current older bunnies,shes fully vaccinated and very happy,if we go ahead it will cost £70+ pounds.

No firm decision been made either way but whats prons and cons and risk of anastethic etc,as we dont want to lose her at under a year?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Some years ago we were told that if we had Basil (psycho rabbit) 'done' he would not be so aggressive. Didn't work - it appeared to make him worse!

My last GSD had a tumour on one of her breasts. She was unspayed all her life.

Many years later when I was pondering whether to have my CKCS spayed, the vet told me that, if I wasn't intending to breed from her, she would be healthier and stand less chance of contracting mammary cancer. That was news to me and surprised me at the time.

But I REALLY wished I'd known about that when I had the GSD as I had no intention of breeding from her either. And I often wondered if it would have prevented the tumour developing.

I don't understand it. You would think dogs would be healthier if they had no 'unnecessary' surgeries or get messed about with? Apparently not.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 06:46 AM
I've looked it up and seems what I was told was not strictly correct. I didn't have my CKCS spayed until she was 4 yrs old and it seems the advice is:

Bitches who have been spayed before their 3rd or 4th season have a much lower chance of developing mammary tumours in later life compared to entire bitches.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
All my rabbits are spayed/ neutered.
Obviously the risks are a bit higher with rabbits than dogs, but I think the pro's of having a non-hormonal, happy bunny who can be housed safely with other rabbits far outweighs the slight chance of problem while under anaesthetic.
When I had my last 2 girls spayed they were back home and running around in the garden the same day/afternoon
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
When I kept small furries it never entered my head to have them spayed/neutered to be honest. My take on it is that if you don't want them to breed, its simple enough to keep all one sex or to keep the males and females in seperate cages and not let them out at the same time.

I am considering getting some more rats at some point and I plan to have all females so I don't become the Pied Piper.