Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Another chicken thread! - Small garden coop ideas

I am slowly wearing down the husband on the chicken front In fact just the other day he joined me in looking at some of the coops in the local garden center and mentioned it would be nice to have some chickens.

However our garden isnt massive so we would only have a trio of hens and a run. They would be able to come out into the garden a lot of the time too just not when i am at work, out or overnight.

When i have keep chickens before we had two masisve coops a huge run and then two fields for them to run about in so i am after ideas for a smaller set up. What do other back garden chicken keepers have?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 02:17 PM
We started off with a little triangular ark and attached run. The run had a little door in it, so it could be opened up if required - ideal if you want to let the birds into the garden under supervision etc
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2012, 02:24 PM
If space is at a premium and you want something to look fantastic please consider an Eglu.They might be seen as expensive,but i still think they're worth it.If you ever get bored of keeping poultry you can almost get your money back on them anyway! You can get run extensions if you want to keep more too.I have 4 in mine (did have 5-one died),but its attached to a much larger run.

and VERY easy to clean-just hot soapy water.No nooks or crannies for redmite either.

http://www.omlet.co.uk
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Well so far i like the look of this one:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/chick...-company-16207

I used to have the arcs for my call ducks and pullets but i am not a fan really.

ETA - I do LOVE the Eglu but no way would the OH let me spend £425.00
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Our garden isn't big either so we built the coop in the trees and built a run around it, they have about 10ft x 8ft

Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post

ETA - I do LOVE the Eglu but no way would the OH let me spend £425.00
Shame cos they really are fantastic and really brighten up a garden...especially in my fav colour-orange!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Now there is an idea - make one! This would appeal to my husbands desire to make something and doesnt look to hard for him to do.

Steve - I know it is a shame because they do it in my fave colour PINK!!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Now there is an idea - make one! This would appeal to my husbands desire to make something and doesnt look to hard for him to do.
I was gonna do the same before i took the plunge and bought one,but what i was going to do was fix cheap ceramic tiles to the inside.Reason is to stop redmite nesting in the tiniest of gaps.Plus theres nothing to stop you from painting it pink afterwards.

One word of advice though-dont use roofing felt for the roof as this is where redmite will breed unmolested for years to come.Use a flat plastic waterproof panel instead.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I bought an arc when I first started keeping chickens. It was from a friend who had actually made it so well worth looking into that if you, or OH is good at building stuff. Works out a lot cheaper. I have also seen them on Freegle as well.

Helen
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Well i have found a bargin on ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-co...item2a1b8a4ac8

What do people think?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >