Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 01:32 PM

No Dressage Comps for Me next year =[=[

Ringo, the 15 year old cob I have started to ride, went lame over the summer, then came sound again, so we started to get him fit.

We were planning on me taking him to a few dressage competitions next year, depending on how well we got on, and if he was fit enough.

Well, he went lame again a week or so ago, and the owner and the owner of the farm he lives on, took him to the vets on Monday to see why he keeps going lame.

Turns out, he has pulled his suspensory ligament in his off hind fetlock.

The treatment..... 12 to 18 months off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And even then, he may never be completely sound again.

Apparently, it's common in his breed, and his age doesn't help either!

I'm gutted!!

xx

(We've fully clipped the poor boy too!!)

Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Ah what a shame. I'm really sorry. I'll bet you are really really disappointed. Poor boy.

He is beautiful though xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
OMG sounds like you were lucky to find that out sooner rather than later, as my understanding is the more stress you put on it the less likely it is to heal.
It is not fun when you put so much effort into getting them ready for showing, dressage, jumping and then it go pear shaped.
He is a beauty too, lots of pats and grooming until he is healed
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
The vet said that had we have not found out, then obviously, we would've waited until he was sound again, then started the fittening programme again.

If we had done that, then in the end, there would be more scar tissue and it would take longer and longer to heal, then more than likely, he would've never been sound again.

I am lucky enough that there is another horse I can ride, but he can't compete anymore, due to arthritis in his legs, we've just got to watch what surfaces we take him on and how often we take him on them, (Like roads for example!) and how he looks before I ride him. He forgets that it does hurt him sometimes, and thinks he's a youngster again!

x
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Aww he sounds like a sweetheart, I did love showing horses and dressage, but if I could do that, just anything would do, I love the smell of them. Sad about the dressage but it would have been worse continuing with it.
Have to find a soft bit of ground to go for a good stroll on him
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
There are so many fields around where we live. We just have to have a short walk on the road, then its field after field and he loves it! He walks around with his ears pricked!

He's not that much of an OAP just yet tho, he's tried to have me off a few times and tried to bolt with me, so theres life in the old boy yet!!

x
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
oh nooo

hope he's ok soon... mine was box rested for 12 months n never came sound (tendons though...)

hes a lovely lad
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 01:01 AM
It sounds nice, the field you go to, lol at him being naughty and trying to boot you off, nothing like that to wake you up on a nice walk Sounds like he is still spritely and will keep you on your toes.