Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Only posted on here just the otherv week a staffie at risk of being put to sleep, i managed to get them two rescue places and offer some travel, but they couldnt be bothered and had him put down, i was distraught.
There are some really terrible tewrrible people out there...i feel very angry just reading this.
Good post though as i know a lot of people are not aware of this huge problem
yes-I certainly was not- And blissfully ignorant I was as it IS VERY UPSETTING!! but.....ignorance is not the answer and awareness may be the way to get changes made...

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
So sad It disgusts and saddens me that some people feel the easiest option for an unwanted dog is a one way trip to the vet

Not sure what can be done to stop this though, as surely if an owner insists that a dog be pts, then the vet is obliged to do it? Dreadful.
Scary isn't it, just in this thread we have a few examples of dogs that would have been PTS that have turned out just fine and made great pets!!

I have been in touch with Andi (the girl who posted the add ) every few days to see if she needs my help in rehoming. It goes a bit into panic mode when the vet calls her as she usually only has a few days before the due appointment date and has to find a willing home before that....

Happily this was a quiet week!!!
Harvey's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Unfortunatly there are still a lot of people out there who see a sweet little puppy and have no idea of the responsibility of owning a dog, and that the sweet little puppy will be as demanding as any child and need love and attention for life.....as soon as the puppy does not fit in with their idea of owning a dog they want rid......thank goodness there are associations and people willing to help these poor animals, my heart goes out to the ones that are pts for no fault of their own.

My Harvey is a fabulous companion and friend he is good with all people especially my 6 month old grandaughter, He is getting better with other animals , all he needs is time patience and lots and lots of Love, I am so glad I decided to have him in my family...so far he has given me 9 weeks of unconditional love and I look forward to many years of loving him xx
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
yes-I certainly was not- And blissfully ignorant I was as it IS VERY UPSETTING!! but.....ignorance is not the answer and awareness may be the way to get changes made...

Scary isn't it, just in this thread we have a few examples of dogs that would have been PTS that have turned out just fine and made great pets!!

I have been in touch with Andi (the girl who posted the add ) every few days to see if she needs my help in rehoming. It goes a bit into panic mode when the vet calls her as she usually only has a few days before the due appointment date and has to find a willing home before that....

Happily this was a quiet week!!!
Im a fosterer, for several rescues and if i can ever help i would be glad too
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
This was the title to a local ad I saw 3 weeks ago and couldn't help responding to, explanation as follows;

The person posting the ad was in the local vets and a young 'beautiful' GSD caught her eye as he was going in to the vet. He didn't come out.

She did some digging and found that he had been 'destroyed due to aggression'. Seems he had been bought as a pup by an inexperienced family who thought it would be fun to get a puppy for the (3) kids to play with, they had realized it was a bit more work than they had expected, the puppy ended up snapping at a child- puppy now dead.

She then discovered that this is by no means a one off case and that there were two staffies booked in that friday to be destroyed for the same reason.
She managed to get the vet to agree to let her have them instead- she rehomed them and they are doing well.
The vet now calls her as soon as such a case gets booked in for destroying and she has rehomed a further 2 dogs since then.

She posted the add as her resources are running low on suitable homes willing to take on an unknown quantity.
I knew that this sort of thing went on, but had no idea it was so prevalent!! This is just one vets!!
I don't quite know what to do, do you guys?

Ignorance is a bliss!!
I think she should get in touch with many tears rescue, they have contacts with other like minded people who save dogs just like you describe in the same situation.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 11:36 PM
thank you on both counts- that is really helpful!!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 06:36 AM
At my first job a lady brought her apricot toy poodle in, only two or three years old, to be PTS because....

get this....

She had bought new carpet and furniture and the dog no longer matched.

We tried to get her to sign it over to us but no, she "couldn't bare the thought of her precious being with someone else. No one would take care of her like she had"

Unbelievable.

We of course refused to do it. But I'm not sure what became of the dog.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Unfortunately its a lot more common than people think
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Another just come bursting out of her little naive bubble.

Well done for posting this OP, the more awareness is raised the better things will get in the long run.

I worry about some of the more high profile rescue centres taking this approach due to budget costs. I really hope we don't start to see this happening more often. I would hate to think that the cost of a behaviourist is waved to take the easier/cheaper way out!!

It's a shame there isn't a main governing body for fostering. Even though it's all done per centre/organisation for incidents like this it would save time to consult just one list rather than each individual centre/list/organisation.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
its just a different way to dog walk - I actuvely avoid other dog owners !!! So much for walking the dog and meeting people !!

That's me on some days too! We could meet up and talk to each other across the street

Seriously though, it's a good case for pet dogs to be neutered. If less dogs were born, then less would be destroyed for ridiculous reasons.

If people get a dog PTS just because it like to get muddy, I wonder what percentage of dogs are PTS for a reason that's not to do with health or untreatable aggression?
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
At my first job a lady brought her apricot toy poodle in, only two or three years old, to be PTS because....

get this....

She had bought new carpet and furniture and the dog no longer matched.

We tried to get her to sign it over to us but no, she "couldn't bare the thought of her precious being with someone else. No one would take care of her like she had"

Unbelievable.

We of course refused to do it. But I'm not sure what became of the dog.
SHOCKING- bet you felt like offering to put HER to sleep!!
Makes me want to scream!!!!

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Another just come bursting out of her little naive bubble.

Well done for posting this OP, the more awareness is raised the better things will get in the long run.

I worry about some of the more high profile rescue centres taking this approach due to budget costs. I really hope we don't start to see this happening more often. I would hate to think that the cost of a behaviourist is waved to take the easier/cheaper way out!!

It's a shame there isn't a main governing body for fostering. Even though it's all done per centre/organisation for incidents like this it would save time to consult just one list rather than each individual centre/list/organisation.
I agree, this is a problem created by society and should be addressed properly! What can be done?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >