Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by CandyKooKoo View Post
Have read this thread with interest, but felt I had to comment as both a mother and grandmother and dog owner.

To be truthful I might have been a bit rude too as one of my sons was viciously attacked whilst playing in the park (in Dagenham) before the DDA came into force and it is not a pleasant sight seeing a large dog go for your son's throat. At least my son was large at the time (having put on a lot of weight with breaking his leg) and managed to turn quickly and the dog viciously bit into his shoulder - 20 stitches needed and I really can see why the woman was rude to you.

Sorry to have to disagree with most of you but having been at the receiving end and no-one knows if the child had already been bitten or frightened by a dog. My son was lucky in that because we have always had dogs then he did not shy away from any dog. I also think that this had an effect on me because I actually go in the other direction if there is a large dog near. I can't help it, even though I owned OES once before the attack.
Yes but my dog did not viciously attack. He just bounded up like any puppy would.

I've been attacked by a dog myself so i know how it feels but i am also grateful that my parents didn't allow it to become a fear.

And i'm going to guess that as the woman said to me "we haven't had chance to get her used to dogs yet" i'm going to assume that as she's hardly ever met any then she probably hasn't been bitten by one.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
no worries- im not offended, i can just see the other posters point of view i think, though she did put it a bit bluntly. if i had kids i'd feel the same as you no doubt.
though, at the risk of sounding like a know-it-all-teenager, im sure my mind is made up... never mind liking them or not, i should hope ill be too busy saving the rainforest to fit anything else in

I think the one thing I have now learned in life is, Never say never to anything,{well within reason}

it kinda sunk into me in my late 20's that I was doing thing I had said I wouldnt do in my late teens, now im doing stuff I didnt think I would do in my late 20,s
The thing is, life goes on and things change, if not we would still be skipping with ropes on the street thinking that was the best fun thing that you could do, but with age/money/work/partners..... oppertunitys come up some we take some we dont, but we def change all the way through our lifes, prioritys change.

A prime example being my best mate gail aka Matron on the forum, she never liked kids, {but thought gordon was ok, though I never put her on the list of babysitters } she was never having kids, it was career, career all the way for her, going from nurse, to ward sister, to dep Matron, to Matron, to Nursing home Manager, to regional Manager to ???????? can even remember what her title is now.. But when she got there, guess what... she wanted a kid and connor came along at 38 shes a mum.. and she loves it and still holds down a really demanding job...
I never seen gail as a mum, but something just changed in her.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Yes but my dog did not viciously attack. He just bounded up like any puppy would.

I've been attacked by a dog myself so i know how it feels but i am also grateful that my parents didn't allow it to become a fear.

And i'm going to guess that as the woman said to me "we haven't had chance to get her used to dogs yet" i'm going to assume that as she's hardly ever met any then she probably hasn't been bitten by one.
I can see your point, maybe I am a bit too short tempered but puppies bite as well. I had a 5 month old OES puppy who nearly tore my younger son's eye out and he just bounded up as a puppy does but caught my son, whether it was accident or not, no mother can take a chance. I did not mean to sound nasty or anything just stating that unless he was a small puppy I would have shouted not knowing what the circumstances could turn out like. Hope that explains it a bit better as I am not trying to be rude or nasty. Maybe the mother had had a bad experience when she was younger. I am just trying to put it in context which sometimes is hard to do when writing something down.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 09:12 AM
I appreciate that, it can be hard to get your point across on forums sometimes!!

I don't blame the lady for being wary or protective over get child, that's just motherly instinct and any mother would do the same. I don't have kids but I'm sure one day when I do I'll be the same about them as this lady was.
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 11 12 13 14