View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:01 PM
On a slightly different topic. I have had my horse almost 8years and still I am teaching him to have him back legs lifted up and teaching him to be clipped!

I could twitch, ear twitch, pin up against a wall; but whats the point, he should happily stand there. We have made vast progress this year though.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I hate to even give these horrible flaming things proper consideration (the idea of them turns my stomach) but I thought the idea was that you 'train' the dog with the collar first and find the level that gets the desired effect before you use it in earnest?
Exactly - but Ben just totally ignored the pager, and the lower levels. He didn't even feel them, that's how painful they are.

Mike has never used it in earnest. Using it in earnest is to use the continuous button, which lasts for up to 12 seconds.

He has only ever - just twice - used the "nick" - equivalent to a sharp stab with a finger or a hard pinch. This was enough for Ben to stop legging it - and eventually getting shot.

He still has his freedom, he still runs as free as a bird, chasing squirrels in the wood with Tai, greeting friends. But when we call "Ben, come!", back he comes, usually in a great big circle just to show that he isn't going to be THAT obedient.
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:02 PM
IME it usually takes a good 6 months for a human to learn to do something, such as training a dog for instance.
I would estimate that in 6 months, one could learn the rudimentary elements of a chosen technique and then you would then spend another 6 months fine tuning those, with some stumbles along the way because none of us are perfect and animals, just the same as children, can and often do regress in a behaviour. Sometimes this is for a reason, such as confusion, something different/sudden happening, a new baby, house move - any number of reasons and sometimes it is simply "just because".

I would allow myself time to rectify these blips and seek help from books, friends or professionals.

i would imagine that my dog and i had got a good measure of each other, after 6 months of solid training - we would have made most of our mistakes and taken another path in the hope of rectifying those mistakes.

I would then anticipate graduating from the level that we had achieved, to the next level....yes, it will take more time!

Rome wasn't built in a day, you cannot expect a green pup to learn everything in 6 months - you wouldn't, so why oh why would you expect an animal with issues to do so?

I really think that you could have consulted a professional or even another NI owner with experience of the breed and worked towards a good outcome without the need for pain.

The first word that came out of my mouth when i read your OP was

"shocking"

please excuse the pun....

It is precisely the word that conveys my feelings

I hope that you choosse to stop using this collar on poor Ben

x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
But he didn't return immediately did he? Your OH had to zap, zap and zap again on several occasions... turning up the amount of virbrations untill you got a reaction The dog let out a YELP which means pain WAS felt!!

Poor dog
No, he did not! He gave him a high level "nick" only TWICE, on two separate occasions, that's all.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm off to bed, got an early start in the morning.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
After over 40 years of owning dogs, I have learned to never say “never” and to always keep an open mind.

We rescued Ben, son of our previous dog Hal, about 6 months ago. To start with, all was not too bad, the two males, Ben and Tai, seemed to bond well etc. etc.

However, things took an extremely bad turn for the worse. Ben went for my husband, did not bite him, but it was serious. It was due to Ben having had a very bad first 3 years of life where clearly he had not only been kept on a running line in the back garden, but had been beaten, kicked or struck in some way, following someone grabbing his collar and then hurting him. OH took hold of his collar too robustly, and Ben went for him. In addition to this, he and Tai were having terrible fights, serious fights where Tai always got injured. On top of this, Ben started to run off, having previously been pretty obedient off lead. He never ran away, just ran off. Over the last 6 or so months, we have tried everything. We have consulted several dog trainers and behaviourists in the area and beyond, and we have explored every single training technique, knowing they would not work, but still desperate to give them a go and succeed. We were staring failure in the face – Ben was going to have to be kept on the lead the whole time, a fate that I am afraid I would not inflict on any dog, certainly a dog who had been confined to a running line in the back garden for 3 years.

One of the trainers suggested an e-collar. I was dead against it, nobody was going to electrocute MY dog, I would not have done to my dog what I would not like done to myself, etc. etc. However, my husband was adamant, he has done a lot of research and reading up and talked to several people who had used an e collar successfully to train their dogs not to chase sheep – we live in serious sheep country here in Northamptonshire – and as he is the one who does the exercising during the week and the general dog care, and has to go searching for Ben every day when he runs off, I really was not in a position to do much about it. He borrowed an e collar with full instructions and a video and to demonstrate to me how safe the device was, he strapped it round his arm and told me to put the collar through its paces. I used the pager device, which is just a vibration then I used the “stim”, set to the lowest setting. I was very very uncomfortable doing this, as I am terrified of electricity, but he told me to keep doing it until we got to the higher levels, when he shrieked and jumped! I dropped the controller unit and burst into tears, I was so upset, and told him never ever ever to use it on Ben, except on the vibrate. He explained to me that he was just winding me up – he has a very black sense of humour – and it hadn’t hurt at all, it was static electricity not current, just like you get when you touch a metal filing cabinet or your car, but I wasn’t convinced. I was extremely concerned, but even I could see we had no choice, unless we were to keep Ben on the lead the whole time, which is just not an option.

So, last Wednesday, Ben wore the collar. As was his wont, the git ran away into the sheep field (currently empty of sheep) on the edge of the wood. OH did his usual thing of calling, whistling, following him with Tai as fast as he could run, but Ben took no notice whatsoever, so he used the vibrate on low. Nothing. He turned it up to the maximum rumble, absolutely nothing, Ben kept on running. He had the stim set to the very lowest, and so pressed the stim button, nothing. He gradually turned up the level and pressed the button (not continuously, just a split second nip), still nothing. He went higher to 30, 50, and at 50 Ben merely shook his head but kept on running. OH went all the way to the maximum, when eventually Ben screeched to a halt, looked at the dot in the far distance behind which was OH trying to catch up with him, and came galloping back to him! He had massive praise, his Fish 4 Dogs treat, and Mike turned round and walked back out of the field into the wood, and the walk proceeded. Ben carried on doing his thing, until they reached a patch of ground the other side of the wood where Ben always runs off. This day was no different. Mike went through the routine of pager, nothing. Stim on low setting, nothing, until he got up to about 80, when Ben yelped and came galloping back to massive hugs and rewards.

He has not run away at all since that day last Wednesday. He is still the same old Ben, still arsey, still grumbles if you try to make him do something he does not want to do, still bounds joyfully round the woods, greeting friends old and new, he is exactly the same dog … except he now comes when he is called.

On Saturday, we took Ben, me and OH and Tai, back to these same woods. The dog did not put a foot wrong. He was actually a bit quiet, and I was very worried that he was traumatised, psychologically damaged, and gave OH a hard time. The next day, Sunday, we went to Harlestone Firs on the edge of Northampton, and there was Ben roaring around having a whale of a time, greeting all and sundry, but every time I whistled “Ben! Come!” he would come running back to me, skidding to a halt in his haste to be obedient and get his praise and his Fish 4 Dogs.

And don’t think it is the treats – treats alone meant nothing, he loves his treats, but he loved being a hobo more. Now, thanks to the e collar he has the best of both worlds. I frankly cannot see anything wrong in this, we had an extreme situation, a situation which would have taken YEARS to train the dog out of, during which time he would most likely have been shot by a sheep farmer or got run over. He’s the same old Ben, arsey, naughty, playful, greedy, disobedient … but he COMES when he is called. Not always the perfect recall that you will get from a high obedience dog, but a nice recall which is more than good enough for me!

I will probably get castigated for this, but I am not ashamed of what my hubby has done - I wanted to present the "other side" of the e collar debate. There are very exceptional circumstances IMO when it can be justified.
Well he pressed the button atleast 6 times from your post. That is 6+ times too many.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Must say I find this story pretty sad

Of course it's hard to comment without knowing all the facts, and how desperate you might have got (not that that makes it 'ok'), but it seems you were doing so well (working on his trust issues) then spoiled it by shocking your dog - and shocking it to go against his instincts, to run.

My neighbour has a northern breed, and they have problems with her recall too, especially when sheep are around. Do you want to know what they've done?

They've found another walk (top of a mountain as it happens - with no sheep) where they walk her. They've also bought a treadmill which she goes on everyday. They'll continue to work on her recall but accept they have a breed who was bred to run run run.

You are 'forcing' your dog to go against his instincts - what he was bred for - by using pain (and I'm not even going to go into potential damage of the shocks being administered near key neural pathways). I dread to think what sort of psychological damage that might be doing. It's a bit like someone shocking you for speaking, or doing something that comes naturally to you

Does that mean you can't let a northern breed off-lead? I don't know - but I do know most people who take one on know (or should know) that it's something they need to bear in mind. Northern breeds, like so many breeds, won't suit everyone and their lifestyles or 'requirements'.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Note to everyone else - please do not get personal.

Sometimes, some people do things our of desperation, lack or knowledge, education or understanding. It's better to get people to see why what they're doing is wrong, than verbally abuse them (which, will only make them switch off, tbh).
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:16 PM
This has made me so sad tragic for poor Ben that you ran out of patience in training him without pain, and went for the "quick fix" instead

When i adopted Drift (WSD) he was a year old,had been horrifically treated and knew nothing, nor recall at all; he wasn't motivated by treats, and had no idea what toys were; this made training very difficult......BUT with patience and perseverance, and keeping him on a long-line for approx 4 months, he has amazing re-call, loves his ball, and treats and is now a very happy dog who enjoys life.

Jann xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry, but trying to kid yourself that they do not hurt is to put it bluntly, utter BS. They DO hurt and are very unpleasant even on the lowest setting...and yes, I have tried one on myself!

You have a Northern breed...what exactly do you expect when it comes to recall? and you are surprised that you have had "serious" issues when it comes to recall, when you are working against all the breeds natural instincts?

Poor dogs. For the dogs sakes, please don't ever breed another litter!
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 83 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 > Last »