Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i know you have, but at first you didnt. i was just trying to make the point that thats what she was meaning. people keep saying how it was written, i understood it correctly...
ok.............
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Kruse, I was trying to find out which breed the pup was as I suspected it was a Pitbull, hence the thread title "Suspected Pitbull Terrier Puppy". Nothing against the breed there.

I then went on to give what I thought was a very clear, accurate and detailed description of the pup....Size, colour, temperament etc. Again, nothing against the breed there either.

I feel the title suits the threads intention perfectly, which is why I chose it. It is not offensive in any way and if people choose to take offence to it then that's their problem, as it certainly was not my intention.

I tell you what, though, I will certainly NOT be asking advice about suspected anything in future if it ends up going in this direction!

From now on I shall carry my camera with me everytime I go for a walk and hopefully get a few shots of this lovely puppy playing with my dogs. I will also tell my grandfather to do the same as he walks them a lot as well.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I have one near me that I am certain is a Pit Bull. I am pretty sure that Staffies don't come in a deep red colour and have red noses, but I could be wrong? regardless, it is kept on lead and muzzled and the owners seem ok so it doesn't bother me, illegal or not.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have one near me that I am certain is a Pit Bull. I am pretty sure that Staffies don't come in a deep red colour and have red noses, but I could be wrong? regardless, it is kept on lead and muzzled and the owners seem ok so it doesn't bother me, illegal or not.
The pup is fine, whether it's a Pitbull/Staffie/whatever, it doesnt bother me either. That's not what my thougts were at all.

The reason for the thread was to try and find out what this breed may be as I am unsure.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
WestieN;
As I said though, I couldn't see it's features clearly enough

Krusewalker;
However, re description.
1. When you say solid, do you mean stocky, or lean and long legged, as the former isn't a description of pit bull types.

2. You mention the tail and colour, but neither of these is taken into consideration re pit bull type identification.

3. There are certain ratios of body length to leg length and head to stop to muzzle for legal identification (which, to be frank, is still all pants).
Can you recall these details?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

Krusewalker;
However, re description.
1. When you say solid, do you mean stocky, or lean and long legged, as the former isn't a description of pit bull types.

2. You mention the tail and colour, but neither of these is taken into consideration re pit bull type identification.

3. There are certain ratios of body length to leg length and head to stop to muzzle for legal identification (which, to be frank, is still all pants).
Can you recall these details?
Kruse, as I said, I am the first person to admit that I am no expert on these breeds, which is why I suspected it was a Pitbull and which is why I posted here for advice, NOT to be told I am "breedist" etc when I am not at all.

Regarding the description I gave, I gave the best description I could going by what I seen at the time, I have already stated that. I'm sorry if they weren't detailed enough for you and you seem to think I'm against the breed because of that.

I have no idea about ratios of body length to head, tail carriage, length of leg etc for Pitbulls/Staffs etc, if I was, would I be on here asking other peoples opinions on what breed it may or may not be? No, I don't think I would, do you? Next time I'll carry a dog breeds book and measuring tape with me, along with the camera.

I have not once said anything derogatory about any breed and nor do I intend to as I have nothing against them, it's the individual owners I have a problem with sometimes! Most of us know, myself included, most problems are down to the owners and not the dogs
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
So what would you do if it was a PitBull?

Sorry but I read your OP as almost school kid excitement that there might be an illegal breed living near you and my first thought was that you should be careful what you say and how you say it. If you accuse that dog of being a PB someone might run away with it too far and the dog will be destroyed. Have you thought the owner might have repeated the breed of his dog because he was paranoid about people like you who might run away declaring his dog to be an illegal breed?

KruseWalker I commend you for thinking carefully about your post and how you say your point. I thought it was a very good point and well put across.

Shona, that dog is GORGEOUS!!! Stats please; Name, age etc! I'm in love!!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
The pup is fine, whether it's a Pitbull/Staffie/whatever, it doesnt bother me either. That's not what my thougts were at all.

The reason for the thread was to try and find out what this breed may be as I am unsure.
I know what you meant.

I don't really 'know' what this dog near me is either. Can any Staffie person confirm whether Staffs come in a deep red colour? this is red like the colour of a fox red Labrador, with a red nose. As I said, I have a strong suspicion that it is a red nosed Pit...?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So what would you do if it was a PitBull?

Sorry but I read your OP as almost school kid excitement that there might be an illegal breed living near you and my first thought was that you should be careful what you say and how you say it. If you accuse that dog of being a PB someone might run away with it too far and the dog will be destroyed. Have you thought the owner might have repeated the breed of his dog because he was paranoid about people like you who might run away declaring his dog to be an illegal breed?
You obviously don't live where I do, or anywhere remotely near like the area I live in.

Firstly, I wouldn't have done anything if it was a Pitbull as it was absolutely fine as I have already stated several times. I don't intend to run to the phone screaming there's a "dangerous dog" on the loose, if that's what you mean! And I don't intend to tell every dog walker in the park either what I think.

School kid excitement? I think not. I just want to know whether it is indeed a very large Staffie (as I have never seen one this size at4 months, I am NOT saying it isn't possible though) or a Pitbull. I'm just curious as to what it is, especially around here.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
You obviously don't live where I do, or anywhere remotely near like the area I live in.

Firstly, I wouldn't have done anything if it was a Pitbull as it was absolutely fine as I have already stated several times. I don't intend to run to the phone screaming there's a "dangerous dog" on the loose, if that's what you mean! And I don't intend to tell every dog walker in the park either what I think.

School kid excitement? I think not. I just want to know whether it is indeed a very large Staffie (as I have never seen one this size at4 months, I am NOT saying it isn't possible though) or a Pitbull. I'm just curious as to what it is, especially around here.
OK, fair enough that's just how it came across.

How can we help you decide what breed it is from a description alone? I've seen plenty of Irish staffies if you mean the colour/markings alone.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »