Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by random
Awww Sorry to hear your having trouble with foxes tuti, and with a fox terrier!

I heard you had to pee in the garden

not you personally...
Now, here's a science bit.........

If you are veggie, or eat a lot of salads etc., your body concentrates a substance called Indoleacetic acid, and eliminates it in your wee. Indoleacetic acid (IAA) is a plant hormone, and accelerates growth of plants. So, if you wee on your roses, it ought to make them grow faster as well as keep the foxes out. The same would apply to your lettuces, but you'd probably get squeamish about eating them afterwards

If you have any doubts about this, just take a look at the vegetation around any seaside sewage outfall, or round any burst drainage pipe - it isn't the s*** that makes the plants grow big, it's the pee!

Snorri
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
Now, here's a science bit.........

If you are veggie, or eat a lot of salads etc., your body concentrates a substance called Indoleacetic acid, and eliminates it in your wee. Indoleacetic acid (IAA) is a plant hormone, and accelerates growth of plants. So, if you wee on your roses, it ought to make them grow faster as well as keep the foxes out. The same would apply to your lettuces, but you'd probably get squeamish about eating them afterwards

If you have any doubts about this, just take a look at the vegetation around any seaside sewage outfall, or round any burst drainage pipe - it isn't the s*** that makes the plants grow big, it's the pee!

Snorri
My! How on earth did you find that out? I take it you fill your watering can with the golden liquid and dowse your garden? I guess it wouldn't work the same on plants on my balcony - would hate them being wiffy if they warmed up in the sunlight
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Just remember to make a note of which way the wind is blowing before 'watering' your garden. Wouldn't want any landing in your wellies eh?
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I've also heard that human hair, placed in something like a stocking and hung around the boundary, deters foxes. Someone I know tried it (hairdressers are only too happy to give the clippings away!) and they said it worked for them.
Tabatha
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2006, 02:16 AM
That's a bit cruel to suggest throwing chinese crackers at a fox, gosh they didn't ask to exist and they have to make do with their situation...very disappointing!!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tabatha
That's a bit cruel to suggest throwing chinese crackers at a fox, gosh they didn't ask to exist and they have to make do with their situation...very disappointing!!
I don't suppose the idea was to throw crackers AT the fox, just let 'em off nearby.

Dunno about the fox, but all this peeing in the garden and hanging human hair all over the place will probably scare the living daylights out of the neighbours....
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by rich c
I don't suppose the idea was to throw crackers AT the fox, just let 'em off nearby.

Dunno about the fox, but all this peeing in the garden and hanging human hair all over the place will probably scare the living daylights out of the neighbours....
LOL yeah, add a few miniature skulls and peeps will start to think there is some voodoo stuff going on hahahah
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tabatha
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Snorrie's suggests of urination on the boundaries is a very old method preferably carried out by a man. I have to say it has been tried to my knowledge (not by me I hasten to add) with little success, perhaps our chickens were to much of a lure for it to work

Tuti your best option is to distract the dogs or keep them in when the fox is around , foxes share some diseases in common with dogs so you are best to keep yours away.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 09:26 AM
The norty fox was back last night, running around the garden with Archie and Ziggy's squeaker at 4AM!!

I stuck my head out and shooed it off as the dogs were about to start barking their heads off, and the norty fox ran away, stopped at the end of the garden, then ran back again and stole the squeaky toy! NORTY FOX!!

Had not got around to ordering those spikes but will have to do it now ASAP And if they don't work then bring on the voodoo human hair and peeing
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >