Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I can't even look at the opening post the title is enough for me
I have stood in the evening light near Cardigan bay watching the Dolphins swim past, they are one of my favourite species and for me preferable to many humans ...
I agree, I've never seen captive dolphins but have swum with trained Dolphins in the open sea in the Bahamas, they are very playful and cheeky and an experience never to be forgotten.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I have stood in the evening light near Cardigan bay watching the Dolphins swim past, they are one of my favourite species and for me preferable to many humans ...
Never was a truer word spoken Mini. One of the few remaining "must do's" on my tick list is to swim and dive with wild dolphins. I was for ever hopeful when windsurfing that I may be lucky, but sadly never. How amazing would THAT have been ... I've walked with wolves, I've slept with wolves, how truly amazing to be able to say "I windsurfed with dolphins!"
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I agree, I've never seen captive dolphins but have swum with trained Dolphins in the open sea in the Bahamas, they are very playful and cheeky and an experience never to be forgotten.
Is it true that sometimes the male dolphins can get a bit fruity with ovulating human females, to the point that it can get dangerous do you know, Trouble?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Is it true that sometimes the male dolphins can get a bit fruity with ovulating human females, to the point that it can get dangerous do you know, Trouble?
Well he would have had to fight his way through my wetsuit, it may have been the Bahamas but it was December and the open sea, the water was freezing. I said playful and cheeky not frisky. No one mentioned it at the time during the do's and don'ts He did keep jabbing me in the ribs and put his jaws around my arm and swam around holding on to me. They are powerful animals so I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them. They attack sharks to protect their young.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Its nothing gory, but its such a heartbreaking image that i cant get it out of my mind

Thanx darling
aw youre welcome
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Never was a truer word spoken Mini. One of the few remaining "must do's" on my tick list is to swim and dive with wild dolphins. I was for ever hopeful when windsurfing that I may be lucky, but sadly never. How amazing would THAT have been ... I've walked with wolves, I've slept with wolves, how truly amazing to be able to say "I windsurfed with dolphins!"

These would Definately be my dream come true, i love both species with a passion.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Interestingly, a lot of Japanese people are ignorant of the dolphin slaughter and are just as appalled by it as we in the West when they are informed, especially the younger generation.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Theres another recently made video here Dawn about what happens in Taiji .

Dawn to Death -The Dolphins of Taiji

From dawn to death, the story of the fate of dolphins passing by Japan. This is Taiji, dolphins are caught, driven to a cove and either killed or used for the slave trade in Dolphinariums

http://vimeo.com/52943939

Thanks for that had a watch of it. There was no sound, so my questions still remain really. Obviously this practice is legal here and largely if not totally unmonitored. I must assume from that as you havent said, that these Dolphins (I saw a few types) are in large numbers and the "fishermen" (for want of a better word) are allowed to kill them in these numbers. I know there is no legal protection as such for Dolphins, so although its unpleasant viewing, they are in fact doing nothing illegal.

Regarding the killing of them. It appears relatively quick. Im guessing that rod type instrument they use is inserted into an area that kills very quickly, (neck/brain?) They certainly do not appear to be suffering for extended periods in that footage. Much like the captive bolt I would imagine, however I do not know for sure.

I appreciate that you find it horrendous, but if Im honest, I think dogs and Cats get a worse deal out in those countries. As for those that are caught and held in captivity, Id sooner they were killed if the truth be known.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thanks for that had a watch of it. There was no sound, so my questions still remain really. Obviously this practice is legal here and largely if not totally unmonitored. I must assume from that as you havent said, that these Dolphins (I saw a few types) are in large numbers and the "fishermen" (for want of a better word) are allowed to kill them in these numbers. I know there is no legal protection as such for Dolphins, so although its unpleasant viewing, they are in fact doing nothing illegal.

Regarding the killing of them. It appears relatively quick. Im guessing that rod type instrument they use is inserted into an area that kills very quickly, (neck/brain?) They certainly do not appear to be suffering for extended periods in that footage. Much like the captive bolt I would imagine, however I do not know for sure.

I appreciate that you find it horrendous, but if Im honest, I think dogs and Cats get a worse deal out in those countries. As for those that are caught and held in captivity, Id sooner they were killed if the truth be known.
Gosh dont you find it horrendous? perhaps its not as graphic as The Cove? cos tbh i couldnt bring myself to watch the 2nd video

Japan are a law unto themselves where cetaceans are concerned, they have never stopped hunting endangered dolphin and whale species which are protected in most countries.

like the diabolicle treatment of cats & dogs in certain East Asian countries(not Japan, i dont think)killing those cetaceans may not be illegal, but its amoral, barbaric and downright shameful.

Anyone who who donated to the Japanese Tsunami fund might be shocked to learn that $28.5 million of it has been allocated to the Japanese Whaling fleet ...

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/316311

more off the same link...I guess its the activist recording the slaughter you find cold & sick Dawn?

Although this is Hill's second visit to Taiji in a couple months and she has witnessed several slaughters, yesterday she says, "will probably always be, the longest and hardest day of my life."
Hill added that fishermen, in an attempt to prevent the dolphins' escape, "tried to position themselves between the rocks and dolphins." Divers, Hill said, "sat on the rocks to push and kick the dolphins that slammed their bodies into the wall, tearing their skin open and staining the water with blood." It is the recording of this type of evidence, that Taiji it appears, is doing its best to stifle.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...#ixzz2DSLFP0TY

'
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Interestingly, a lot of Japanese people are ignorant of the dolphin slaughter and are just as appalled by it as we in the West when they are informed, especially the younger generation.
yes this very true, but some very good news, for the very 1st time in Japan, there was a demo the other day against the slaughter.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >