Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Anal gland removal

Hi I was wondering If anyone can give me their experiences on this matter. I have taken my dog to the vets tonight for the second time in a month due to her having problems scooting etc, tonight my vet has advised me to have them removed because this is a recurring thing and this time she has absesses on them. Have any of you had dogs that have had them removed, also if I were not to have done what would happen. This is not a money issue my vet told me my pet insurance will cover it, but I am just stressing in case it makes life worse for her, please help
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lyns View Post
Hi I was wondering If anyone can give me their experiences on this matter. I have taken my dog to the vets tonight for the second time in a month due to her having problems scooting etc, tonight my vet has advised me to have them removed because this is a recurring thing and this time she has absesses on them. Have any of you had dogs that have had them removed, also if I were not to have done what would happen. This is not a money issue my vet told me my pet insurance will cover it, but I am just stressing in case it makes life worse for her, please help
Yes---and it was a mistake. It is usually caused by either overfeeding or feeding a food which isn't right for the dog.

If you remove the anal glands the waste tries to get out elsewhere and you can end up with abcess' on feet and elsewhere.

I'd hang fire and look at the diet. What do you feed and is she at all overweight?

rune
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I agree with Rune - would be very reluctant to remove anal glands. Definitely need to look at the diet to harden up her poos.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Yes---and it was a mistake. It is usually caused by either overfeeding or feeding a food which isn't right for the dog.

If you remove the anal glands the waste tries to get out elsewhere and you can end up with abcess' on feet and elsewhere.

I'd hang fire and look at the diet. What do you feed and is she at all overweight?

rune
I don't understand what waste this would be? As far as I was aware, the anal glads create a substance that covers the poo as it comes out - the belief is that this was for scent marking purposes. Waste bodily products would still be excreted in the same way as normal.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I'd agree with Rune and look at diet before removal. Rupert used to have anal gland problems, since changing his diet they've disappeared completely.
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Hi thanks for your replies already done the food thing her poo's are rock hard, it's the vet that has advised this he said her anal glands have become thickened due to keeping on having them squeezed anyone else's dog had them removed?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:27 PM
I didn't een know they could be removed I am not a fan of surgical procedures unless absolutely vital.

Maybe rock hard poo's could be the problem? Can poo's be too hard?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I have had two dogs that had thier anal glands removed and its the best thing I ever done for them. No more discomfort or having to empty them and certainly no problems afterwards.
The only thing I will stress is to have a surgeon experienced in removing the glands do it as there is a lot of nerve endings around that area and if they are not experienced then you could get problems.
I personally wouldn't hesitate to have the op if I had a dog suffering badly with them, just speak to the vet and make sure they have done plenty of them and thier success rate is good.
I left my first dog so long and she had them emptied so much they thickened so much one wouldn't empty any more and the other was difficult and painful. the poor girl was in agony i should have done them sooner.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:32 PM
This thread has intrested me as Ruby also has problems with her Anal Glands. She had them emptied when she went for her booster in October but i need to go back soon as the 'smell' has come back over the last week and lots of licking. So i can see it become a regular thing going to the vets to be emptied

Im not to sure about the whole firmness issue of the poos as Ruby is fed Arden Grange and her poos are fine.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Once you start emptying them it carries on regardless.

It isn't just the food quality---it can be if the dog is overweight.

Hali---I only know what I was told by James Burns and the dog in question had had them removed and then developed sores on her feet. He said it was related but was not to do with her usual diet which was JWB but she had treats etc with colourings and various other things in. When she was given cooked chicken and JWB or Burns treats the feet cleared up. If she got a fraction over weight it came back again.

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >