Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Any decent PC cleaners out there?

My PC is running a little slow at the moment and I'm sure it needs a clean. I've deframented it, run virus scans etc but it's not much better.
Does anyone know of any PC fixes to download? All the ones I've seen are scanning for free but then you have to pay to get problems fixed. It's not that I mind paying, but I don't want to pay for one that's no good.
If anyone has downloaded a good one could you let me know. Thanks
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2012, 01:09 AM
I have used Crap Cleaner for years its free and have had no issues ..
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Advanced SystemCare 5 (by iobit) makes a huge difference to my PC after it's run.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

It's free and you can do a quick scan/clean or a deep scan/clean (which takes a bit longer)

The option is there to upgrade for a fee but the free cleans always work well for me.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-02-2012, 10:27 AM
To be honest, it's not all that difficult to do a couple more basic things manually rather than relying on some ropey cleanup application. For starters, go into control panel (I assume we're talking about winblows here as virus scan and defrag were mentioned...) then add/remove programs and get rid of anything you don't use. Then you can move on to Googling for tutorials about removing unecessary services.

Of course, there is a more certain way of getting the best performance out of your PC. That would be migrate to a Linux system. After careful research and consideration, of course! If you just jump in without making sure you choose a Linux distro that will meet your needs then there is a chance it'll end in tears. The alternative is to put up with virus scans, defrags and otherwise trying to cut out the bloat. then when you've had enough of that, it'll be time to buy a new windoze machine and start all over again.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 12:02 PM
It`s pretty rare for PCs these days to need a defrag.
Have a look at what applications are running (control / alt / delete brings up task manager with Windows) - you might be surprised at how much tosh has installed itself.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2012, 12:04 PM
I use advanced system care too.
I also keep one laptop free of all extra programmes, other than my photo editing stuff & printer drives.
But....mine recently slowed to a crawl & it turned out to be a problem caused by a recent Microsoft update.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Thankyou for your answers folks! I'll give some of your ideas a try. It's driving me mad! I've tried Googling solutions but they're mind-blowing! Any other ideas anyone?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Advanced SystemCare 5 (by iobit) makes a huge difference to my PC after it's run.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

It's free and you can do a quick scan/clean or a deep scan/clean (which takes a bit longer)

The option is there to upgrade for a fee but the free cleans always work well for me.
Thanks so much for this Phil...I have downloaded it and scanned my computer. It's fixed some problems and my PC is running a lot faster!! Praise be!! I owe you a pint!!