Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 09:12 AM
hi trish,

sounds like the same harness i've seen. is it quite broad across the chest and the bits that go under their arms are fleece-lined?
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 09:19 AM
As you look at the dog from the front it crosses - I just looked for a photo of Hollie with it on but can't find one, if you like I will take one later. The bits that go under her front legs are fleece lined, kind of like a fleece sleeve. Got it in Pets at Home.
Ruffles
New Member!
Female 

17-08-2006, 09:22 AM
We had bad problems with pulling and used a gentle leader its really good now, he doens not like it mush but at least we can walk easily and that means further.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Trish
As you look at the dog from the front it crosses - I just looked for a photo of Hollie with it on but can't find one, if you like I will take one later. The bits that go under her front legs are fleece lined, kind of like a fleece sleeve. Got it in Pets at Home.
hi trish,

that would be great to see a piccie of it! thanks
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 09:57 AM
hi,

i understand what you're saying about suspending all walks for sam....but i feel he might get really frustrated when he sees me taking bronte out. maybe i'm just over-reacting i dont know!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by springergirl
hi,
i understand what you're saying about suspending all walks for sam....but i feel he might get really frustrated when he sees me taking bronte out. maybe i'm just over-reacting i dont know!
Hi Springergirl oh dear,first take a big breath, keep calm and look at it logically .

Firstly SB has said exactly what I would have said
..also as others say a harness may work if you can get the correct one.Meanwhile this may be worth a try ..you say Sam is ok in the garden, before going out of the gate walk around the garden first giving lots of praise for walking well..head for the gate and if Sam starts to pull and 'shoots out when you open the gate' go back /take the lead off / wait a few moments and start again..pulling means no walk. Start again round the garden with lots of praise/through the gate then back if he pulls.

As soon as he walks well give lots of praise but don't accept pulling .. it's worth a try
Once you manage to progress through the gate, as soon as Sam starts to pull stop dead, your walks with Sam will be stoping and starting and you may not get far to begin with but it will work eventually .

Don't expect instant success with any of these methods, you need lots of patience/kindness/consistency and more than a little stubbornness

SG you are doing a great job with Sam , no one could be trying harder ...try not to get too exasperated when progress is slow, remember Sam is good and obedient in many things and this counts for a lot..
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 11:15 AM
thanks mini for your advice, and to be honest i was thinking along the same lines myself. he does great heel-work in the garden (on and off-lead) and really pays attention. think i'm just gonna have to be stubborn and not give into him....as you say pulling is not acceptable. maybe i should hold off getting yet another harness and just practice with his half-choke collar and normal lead?

i feel all i'm going at the moment is moaning about the poor little man! i suppose i've had it so good for the last 12 years with my other 2 springers all this pulling and non-existent recall is all alien to me! i will persevere with him though!

we have our test at the obedience club on sunday which will take us up into the next class.....so all isn't bad
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Springergirl - Hollie just did some modelling for you with the help of Greg, please excuse the state of his trousers, he loves these trousers more than anything!

I think one side is slightly twisted - only put it on for these photo's so didn't check!

springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 01:18 PM
aw bless her cotton socks! looks pretty much like the one i'm thinking of! anyway....i've bitten the bullet and ordered one...black with red stripes!! hehe
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Must keep us all posted when it arrives!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >