Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 08:26 AM

Proper behaviour round dogs from kids

Was on a walk on Tuesday night before training. We'd been on the beach and walked back on the path so the boys could cool down a bit and dry off. A little way ahead, I saw one of the old guys that lives near us, with his 3 mini poodles and a little girl (presumably his grand-daughter).

The minis were on a lead, so I put my boys on their leads. I actually find it easier to sit and wait for them to pass, rather than try and get my 2 past the other dogs, as they get terribly excited by them. So we sat on the nearest steps to the beach, and waited.

His little granddaughter came running up, she must have been about 4 or 5, and asked "Can I stroke the doggies please?"

So I said "Yes, but be very gentle because they are babies" (didn't mention the fact that they are also face height to her!!)

I made the boys lay down so she could stroke them without getting a faceful of Boxer. She even asked where she could stroke them!

As she was stroking/patting Murphy, her grandpa caught up and told her to "come away, cos those doggies might bite you".

Cue me, looking at my 2, laying down in the sun, letting a small girl stroke them without a problem.

I just said "It's ok, she's fine. She did ask first, and I'm ok with that. They don't bite"

I asked if the little girl wanted to give Murphy a treat and she said yes. I told her what to do, and not to mind if he licked her hand, as it was like having a kiss from him. (He's a very licky dog, and will take a treat and then proceed to lick your hand for ages)

She gave him a biscuit and then said "He kissed me! Grandpa look! He kissed me!"

She was so pleased that Murphy had "kissed" her that she threw her arms round his neck and "kissed" him back Luckily, he was fine with this, but she did get a faceful of slobber

Her grandpa didn't look too pleased, but as far as I was concerned, I was happy for her to play with the dogs, she had asked and been very nice about it.

My faith in children has been restored! (Since we see a lot of horrid little kids round here on bikes who shout and throw stones at dogs and walkers, and cars etc.)
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Well done to your two and well done to the wee girl, its so nice to see youngsters respecting animals. Bit of a shame her grandpa not quite so enthusiastic but maybe the wee girls enthusiasm and the fact your 2 were so well behaved will rub off on him!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-06-2008, 08:43 AM
I do like it when things like that happen. I had a young lad run up to Star and Skye a few months back, luckily they are fine but I did think the lad didnt know that, so I was shocked when his mum caught up and said how many times have I told you not to run up to dogs you dont know, they might have not liked it. She also apoligised to me aswell.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 09:00 AM
i know the feeling!

since my nephew was born, any child in a pushchair has been the victom of serious tailwagging and inspection.

i always get her to sit now when a pram is nearby, but on this one occasion, the granddad said to the little girl...

oooooh look lovely doggy!
and asked can she stroke her....

i said well of course, she may jump up onto the pushchair and my lick but she is friendly...

Well 5 mins later both child and granddad were covered in china kisses and the little girl was squeeling in delight!!

it was sooo nice to see!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Nice to hear the good stories, too
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Well done to you and your boys
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Yay excellent! Some parents are obviously teaching their kids some good common sense. Yesterday two children - brother and sister aged 7 and 10 - came up to me and asked if they could stroke the dogs. They were really good and very polite. They were pretty smitten with the dogs and loved throwing the ball for murphy.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Well done to you two for being so well behaved.

Heidi
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 03:36 PM
its good to hear good kid stories isnt it !!

well done to your boys !!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Lovely to hear.
I love it when kids ask if they can stroke mine.......the dogs love it too
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >