View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2004, 11:31 AM
I agree whole heartedly with the day too soon theory -It is that final act of kindness you could show -also is it not better for for your pet to leave on a good day -a day when they can maybe enjoy a bit of good food and maybe a short stroll -rather than it be a day of pain and suffering-let them go happy and with a full tummy ( thats how I want to be LOL ) JMHO
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

30-05-2004, 03:56 PM
I had to make that decision with Daisy, I knew her back legs were going and didn't want her collapsing and having to be carried out in a blanket like her poor mother. She may have had another few weeks but I could see the pain and confussion in her eyes when she fell over. I have had several that I know were left too long because I didn't want to lose them but at the end of the day it is the kindest thing we can do.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2004, 06:42 AM
As I posted somewhere else, euthanasia is the final, and greatest, gift of love and respect, we can make to our companions. To be able offer them the means to die painlessly and with dignity is a great privilege.

I have owned, and said goodbye, to many dogs over the years. To those to whom the gift of death was overdue I apologise. It is far, far, better to make the decision a day too soon rather than a day too late.
moo
Dogsey Senior

03-06-2004, 03:08 PM
to me this says everything on this subject

If it should be that I grow weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
for this battle can't be won.

You will be sad,I understand,
Dont let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more then all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test,

We've had so many happy years,
what is to come can hold no fears,
You'd not want me to suffer so,
The time has come ,Please let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
and please stay with me to the end,
Hold me firm and speak to me
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me,
although my tail its last waved
from pain and suffering I've been saved

Please do not grieve, it must be you,
Who has this painful thing to do,
We've been so close we two these years,
Don't let your heart hold back its tears

author unknown
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

03-06-2004, 05:36 PM
thats so sad
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2004, 10:23 AM
I think everyone who reads that see's their special friend on the last moments ....very sad , lost my foundation bitch 3 years a go and although her spirit lives on here she was most special , she is buried in the rockery at the end of our garden in the shade, had battles with local council about removing a wall that would disturb her I fought and won ......rest in peace little girl XXXX
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2004, 06:26 PM
I lost my first staffy bitch back nearly 4 years ago and I couldn't take her to the vets to be PTS. She was only 5 but she was starting to lose control of her bowel movements. It was so degrading for her. My hubby took her and I was so distressed knowing the time of her appointment that my boss sent me home as I started to weep in work. My boss then told me to take a couple of days off so I could grieve properly for her. When My hubby phoned and asked if we wanted to dispose of her body I couldn't do it. The vet did it for me. A few weeks later I eventually ventured into the boot of my car knowing that her collar and chain were still there. I broke out in floods of tears. It was then that we decided that when the time was right we were definately going to have another staff. We did too. Just over 18months later we rescued Jas a then 5 year old(ish) red but no dog can ever replace my Lara.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2004, 07:49 PM
I had to have my first Beardie Una pts last Thursday, she was 14 years and 3 months and while she still enjoyed her food her wee walks and still played with a ball and the pup for a wee while. I could see that her body was beginning to let her down. Her backend was getting stiff and shaky and sometimes she didn't manage to hold on until she got outside but she was doing away then during the night last wednesday she wakened me several times having passed watery poo in various places. I thought I'd not feed her her breakfast and see how she went on but by mid morning she was constantly pacing and had no bowel control so I took the decision to have the vet come out and let her go peacefully in her own home.

One of the hardest decisions to make but at least she went before she was too infirm or lost her dignity.

I firmly believe better a day too soon than a day too late
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

18-06-2004, 08:47 PM
So Sorry to read of your loss Cava14luna, We lost one of ours last Friday.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2