Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2015, 10:15 AM

My dog is housetrained but not, help?

Hi,

My dog will let me know when she needs the toilet, however as soon as she goes into someones house, it's almost like the first thing she will try and do. If i am going to someones house I always make sure she has done a wee before but yet she still manages a wee, it's almost like marking her territory. Please help how to stop this?

Thanks
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Does she do this even if you keep her on a leash in someone else's home? I'd try that. Take her out to go potty first, maybe even walk her for 20 mins so she has time to go multiple times. Then keep her on a leash in the house and prevent her from sniffing things, which is what dogs will often do before marking.

Or, could you get her to lie down and stay next to you?

Those are just some ideas. Maybe she's marking and maybe she's just excited and doesn't fully understand that just because she can't potty in your house she can't do it in other homes. Maybe even just taking her to more homes and really working on this with her will help her understand.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Do you take her into their garden first? Simple as that. How old is she?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2015, 07:55 AM
It is a scent marking exercise. Just as you trained her at home, you have to train her in other peoples' houses too.

Watch her like a hawk when you visit and take her out regularly until she gets the message