View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks folks - lots to think & browse on.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-12-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm waiting for the Macbook Air to be given the Retina display treatment, then I will seriously consider one.

I suggest Mac too - they are just so much better these days.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I'm waiting for the Macbook Air to be given the Retina display treatment, then I will seriously consider one.

I suggest Mac too - they are just so much better these days.
Theyre very pricey compared to the others tho. I like the look of the new one theyre advertising on tv at present.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2012, 05:54 AM
I use a toshiba with fast speed which has been brilliant for the last year and still going strong. My son uses a samsung, daughter an advent and husband an apple mac. We all swear by them!
manda43
New Member!
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:11 AM
MacBook Air BUT it's battery life is the pits, it is super light for carrying about though I tend to take my iPad these days instead.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Things to consider (from my own experience of new laptops every 2 to 3 yrs or so) apart from the obvious of how powerful, screen size, etc.

*Battery life (if you don't want it connected to mains all the time)
*WEIGHT - my current heavy duty VIAO weighs in at an incredible 5kg.
*How hot it gets. I did like the Acer I had a while back but you could have fried eggs on it and would burn your legs if you ever wanted to use it on your lap. And if the fan is on the same side as my mouse hand (right side) I find that very uncomfortable when it is hot weather and the lappy is hot.
*Backlit keyboard (if you want to use it in darkened/dim room)
*What type of 'keys' the keyboard has. I like 'Chicklet' keys.

I've been happy with Acer, Samsungs and VIAOs but now wouldn't want anything other than latest VIAO.

Yeah I'd love a MAC - sadly the software I use for work does not gel with MAC.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm still thinking about it . I went into Currys a few weeks ago to have a look and came out with a new Food Processor instead
Jessiesdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Mac Book Pro. The best there is.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I'm still thinking about it . I went into Currys a few weeks ago to have a look and came out with a new Food Processor instead
as yer do!!! Oh that did make me laugh Helen

Dave has the Samsung and I like it too, but it's their netbook. We've had the HP lappy too which was fine. I would never, ever have another Acer it was horrible, I didn't like anything about it, especially the typing. As Tang has said there, I like clacky keys too, but I'm a proper skilled typist, it might not matter when you're a two finger person.

Dave is looking for a new laptop atm, but he always comes back empty handed too
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
as yer do!!! Oh that did make me laugh Helen

Dave has the Samsung and I like it too, but it's their netbook. We've had the HP lappy too which was fine. I would never, ever have another Acer it was horrible, I didn't like anything about it, especially the typing. As Tang has said there, I like clacky keys too, but I'm a proper skilled typist, it might not matter when you're a two finger person.

Dave is looking for a new laptop atm, but he always comes back empty handed too
I've got a Samsung net book too. Sadly it doesn't allow me to use the software for the content editor I work with because the screen pixel size is just 100 less than the software requires. (Crappy software developers really - but still a problem) so useless for what I wanted it for - to save taking the huge VIAO away with me. Given it to my DiL now.

As I said - it does all depend on what you intend to use it for. You can get a quite cheap lappy if all you want to do is browse the web, email, bookface, type garbage on forums like this, buy stuff online etc.

Not sure what you mean by 'clacky' keys - noisy? Some come with the option to have noise on or off. By chiclet - I am describing the TYPE of keys - in this case the small flat square ones. These

you can be as silent or 'clacky' as you like on them depends how hard you hammer 'em!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2