Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2012, 04:40 AM

System problems

Ok so i spent 3 plus hours tonight struggling with the netbook. Kept getting messages to say windows was using a high volume of memory & i should shut the programme down & start again. After doing it three times got fed up! Then the screen started to freeze, spent ages working at that trying to free it up. Then to confound things the network went down & i got a message on screen to say that my device was conflitting with another device with a different IP address. Is this possible on secure network? What could the other device be, could it be my iPhone? The laptop was freezing last night too & going very slow. The metbook has XP & laptop Windows 7

Any ideas/ thoughts folks?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Yes it could be your iPhone - I would just restart the laptop and see if it picks up a new IP.

Re memory, again a restart might help - or you might want to close down some programs.
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2012, 07:39 PM
I run a netbook, laptop and Desktop machine. My netbook has windows 7 on it.

Basically netbooks do not have the same memory capacity as a desktop/laptop. Thus you may have to shut down any program you are not using to maintain a similar speed of response as you get from other machines.

Re the conflict with other devices - I get this at times when I start up one machine after the others already on the net.

In that situation I simply ignore the message and carry on. It usually works!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Thanks Guys. It must be background programmes that start up automatically when you turn start up that are causing problems.

I was worried in case the conflicting IP address was a hacker so thats a relief