Female 

22-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Hope something works out for your OH, that'll suit you both

Good Luck xx
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 08:15 PM
We moved 'down south' from Scotland 8 years ago, and tbh, I'd never move back. I love it here, we still come up the road 3/4 times a year, and chat to family all the time through FB, phone calls etc. It makes the family visits much more fun, rather than obligation cause you're so close by
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2011, 08:18 PM
My OH and I live in seperate countries due to his job being in Hull, so he has a flat in Hull and I have the house and cats and dogs and we see each other at weekends and it does work

One or other of us has worked away so you do get used to it, my hardest time is when he is away for 15 days when he is on call and when he has to travel with his job

On the whole I am happy with my lot and would never have moved again as we had only moved lock stock and barrel 3 years previously tomour dream home in the country which is off a dirt track off an unclassified road and is cat and dog safe which was what brought us here oh that and OH's job
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Ah, another Yorkie lass .

We had to move away from 'home' a few years ago for my hubby's work. It wasn't nearly so bad as feared and I found that I talked to family more than I did when I lived 500 yards down the road from them. We did move back, but again it was a job related decision.

The last move we had six years ago and was a move away by choice (once you've done it once, the second time holds no doubts). I know that family are only a phone call (webcam - hey, how hi-tech is that?) away and I have the view that I 'have car, can travel'

I love where I am now and would never move back, but I know that in times of need, I always have a bed back 'home' (well a choice of beds with family) whenever needed for emergencies.
Oh, I hope it turns out the same for me, as it did for you It really worries me though, coz I have always heard how hard it was for my mum when she moved from Scotland to England. All my family are from Scotland, and my dad got a job in England. They spent a while with him being away, while my mum was up here in Scotland with my two older sisters (before I came on the scene ). My mum hated him being away, and missing time with my sisters so she made the decision to move… she said it was really really difficult. It was when they were down there that they had me, and then my dad managed to get a job up here again, when I was 8.

The job he is waiting to hear back from is in Cumbria, which wouldn’t be that bad since it isn’t too far away

Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Aw hun, I can understand exactly where you're coming from BUT it really isnt as bad as it seems. I moved 300 miles away from my family through the OH having a dam good job, it made no sense for him to move where I was. I've never looked back since. I love it here, my kids love it here & same as others we skype the family, email, text & call. Infact i probably talk more to them now than when I lived down the road.
Good luck to you both for whatever the future holds...remember, everything happens for a reason xxx
Oh, I am so glad you understand I was worried people would think I was being melodramatic, and silly… I just needed to talk… I think moving away from your family is a big deal though, and I have always been a home bird. Heck, when I went to Tenerife with my friends for two weeks, they all wanted to stay… I wanted home after a week! I loved Tenerife, but I missed my family like crazy and cried every time I spoke to them on the phone… hearing my parents voice just set me off (I didn’t miss my sisters quite so much though ).

Yeah, I know with us that I need to go where OH gets a job… he has a degree, and I don’t, so any job he has will be a far better job than what I will get. I am sure it is something that once you are doing it, you adapt… it’s just the waiting and starting the process…

We had our talk today, and said that, if he has to go to England, that he will go down first for a few months, and make sure he is settled and that he will be staying in that job (because a lot of jobs have a probationary period, we want to make sure he gets past that) and then, I will follow (with Jake of course ).

Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
Its aeronautical engineering i work in. Mechanical Engineer here, 10years since uni, how old am I
has he tried the likes of Spirit or Assystem or BAE, all based in Prestwick (with me!)

I've branched out a bit, doing boats and all, his engineering degree should cover all the main basis, or does he really want aircraft work? Just this week i transferred back to planes.

Is he looking for a grad scheme, we just took on a clatter of grads, mainly systems engineers though.

Good luck with it.
I don’t think he has tried them, he has just been searching a whole lot on the internet and so far, hasn’t managed to find a single suitable job in Scotland. I don’t think he is majorly bothered about doing a job using his degree The job he is waiting to hear back from doesn’t have anything to do with aeronautical engineering, and is that graduate scheme thingymabob…

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I wasn't ready to move away from my family to be honest. However, I'm now in Germany and they're in England and I'm absolutely fine. I talk to them on the phone and it's only a couple of hours away on a plane if I want to go back for a visit. Sure, I miss them at times but I can just pick up the phone. It's not the end of the world even if you don't feel ready
Thanks, I hope if I need to move that it is the same for me It can just be daunting thinking of moving away from them…

Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Well i live in England and my OH half works away all week and only comes home at weekends, we moved to Kent from Essex 7 years ago and i didn't know anyone here either and no family here, you soon make friends.
Thanks, I hope I do… and Jake too

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Hope something works out for your OH, that'll suit you both

Good Luck xx
Thanks

Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
We moved 'down south' from Scotland 8 years ago, and tbh, I'd never move back. I love it here, we still come up the road 3/4 times a year, and chat to family all the time through FB, phone calls etc. It makes the family visits much more fun, rather than obligation cause you're so close by
I hope he gets a job somewhere nice, and that I will not want to move away

Originally Posted by Lizz View Post
My OH and I live in seperate countries due to his job being in Hull, so he has a flat in Hull and I have the house and cats and dogs and we see each other at weekends and it does work

One or other of us has worked away so you do get used to it, my hardest time is when he is away for 15 days when he is on call and when he has to travel with his job

On the whole I am happy with my lot and would never have moved again as we had only moved lock stock and barrel 3 years previously tomour dream home in the country which is off a dirt track off an unclassified road and is cat and dog safe which was what brought us here oh that and OH's job
I would really struggle with not seeing him for that long… I guess I would get used to it, but we have always seen each other a lot, so it would be really difficult. I am finding it difficult just now with the hours he is working! He is doing 12 hour nightshifts, and so we have limited time and it is difficult to fit around my work too… we still see other at least every other day, from an hour or two to 5 plus hours… and I still miss his mug It must be difficult when you have found your dream home though
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Aww, its awful to think about isn't it?

I lived in Hong Kong for 6 years, My twins were born out there.

The thing that kept me going was my mum telling me that "no matter where you are in the world, you are only 24 hours away"

Kept me going no end ..........
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2011, 08:35 PM
We spent only 6 weeks together in our first year of marriage due to OH's job and when he came back home full time the following year we both had a lot of adjusting to do he still quite comprehend the female just popping out and coming back 6 hours later

You do get used to it takes some adjusting but we talk on hte phone everyday and email and he gets regular up dates from the cats and dogs and photo's and regularly has to down load the animals pics as folks in the office love to see them and ask after the animals I am an after thought
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 07:00 AM
I dread my hubby being deployed. 6 months of him not being here would be bad enough without the danger on top of it. Iraq was bad enough, Afghanistan seems even worse than Iraq was

Quite looking forward to having the house to myself for a couple of weeks when he goes skydiving next year though. I'll miss him but I love being able to do what I want when I want without having to consider anyone else.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post

The thing that kept me going was my mum telling me that "no matter where you are in the world, you are only 24 hours away"

What a lovely sentiment

I dread my hubby being deployed. 6 months of him not being here would be bad enough without the danger on top of it. Iraq was bad enough, Afghanistan seems even worse than Iraq was

Quite looking forward to having the house to myself for a couple of weeks when he goes skydiving next year though. I'll miss him but I love being able to do what I want when I want without having to consider anyone else.
Exactly how I feel Sarah.

Loz - it won't be as bad as you think it will be. Me and OH only saw each other at weekends for 2 years, then we spent 6 months in each others company constantly and now we're back to the weekends and we will be for 4 years (I am not moving to Bulford!).

You'll still have your friends, family and Dogsey and Him - but he'll just be a phonecall away instead..

"absence makes the heart grow fonder" it does! (unless they come home in such a mood you want them to just go back from where they came from )

Try not to worry, keep busy and cry as much as you want, eat as much ben and jerry's as you want and spend as many hours in the countryside as you want with Jake.. thats all I did (oh and the odd bottle of red ) but you get used to it and if you're ever feeling lonely - have a girly night in/out..
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post

Oh, that is a lovely wee ‘quote’ thingy… That is one worth remembering!

Originally Posted by Lizz View Post
We spent only 6 weeks together in our first year of marriage due to OH's job and when he came back home full time the following year we both had a lot of adjusting to do he still quite comprehend the female just popping out and coming back 6 hours later

You do get used to it takes some adjusting but we talk on hte phone everyday and email and he gets regular up dates from the cats and dogs and photo's and regularly has to down load the animals pics as folks in the office love to see them and ask after the animals I am an after thought
Oh, see I just couldn’t live like that… just through my personality and nature… I don’t think OH could either though. I think it takes a very very strong person to do what yous have…

Oh, that must be a nightmare! My OH had talked a lot about the RAF, Marines and even the Parachute regiment! He really wanted to join, but sadly couldn’t. I would be a wreck if he went away though. It was a big shock when he first started talking about it…

Do you know when your hubby is being deployed?

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Loz - it won't be as bad as you think it will be. Me and OH only saw each other at weekends for 2 years, then we spent 6 months in each others company constantly and now we're back to the weekends and we will be for 4 years (I am not moving to Bulford!).

You'll still have your friends, family and Dogsey and Him - but he'll just be a phonecall away instead..

"absence makes the heart grow fonder" it does! (unless they come home in such a mood you want them to just go back from where they came from )

Try not to worry, keep busy and cry as much as you want, eat as much ben and jerry's as you want and spend as many hours in the countryside as you want with Jake.. thats all I did (oh and the odd bottle of red ) but you get used to it and if you're ever feeling lonely - have a girly night in/out..
Thanks Aimee

I know this sounds so sad and needy, but I really just don’t like being away from him for too long… he is doing 12 hour nights shifts just now (has been for the last 6 weeks and finally finishes on Sunday, or at least is meant to be), and it has been so weird not seeing him as much. We have to fit it around us both working, sleeping, him going to the gym (), Jake etc… and so our time has been limited, and most of it has been with us both asleep!

I do agree with ‘absence makes the heart grow stronger’… although we haven’t been absent from each other, we have been getting on soooooo amazingly since he started nightshift and haven’t had a single fight! Or even an argument

If he does move, then I will follow at some point… it’s just a matter of how long after, will be at least 3 months but probably nearer 6 months, I think… I will definitely be crying during those months though! And make my way through A LOT of Ben and Jerry's... and Jake will probably be the best behaved dog in the park
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Aimee

My OH was in the forces and I went with him. My mum used to say that to me 20 plus years ago when I would cry down the phone coz I was missing my family.

My son is now in the Paras, just come back from Afghan, injured in Iraq, and I now quote that to my daughter in law who lives just around the corner from us when he goes away.

My mum is no longer with us, but it still makes me smile whenever I use it. And I tell you, it has come in very useful over the years.

Take Care Hun xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2