Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-04-2011, 03:10 PM

How would you train a dog to 'go home'

I don't mean your dog to go back to his or her own home, but the neighbours dog to go back to theirs when they come in your garden

It's what I've been doing the last hour or so. As many of you know the neighbours dog jumps over whenever she feels like it - and that can be a pain sometimes. So today I tried to teach her to 'go home' on command (her owner was no where to be seen).

Treats worked by chucking them over and getting her to stay - but then she'd just jump back over. So I got the hose pipe out and sprayed her a couple of times and told her to go home. Did it twice and now she goes home on command.

Is there a better way? Is the hose pipe a bit too harsh? It hasn't stopped her coming over completely - as she'll still come when called, and it hasn't put her off me as she still plays with me too. Hose pipe wasn't on strong - just enough to be unfamiliar and cold.

Interested in what you would have done in the situation (apart from getting her owner to sort it out) and whether any of you have dealt with this sort of thing before.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I`d pop him back and find a way to raise the fence.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I maybe would have asked for more and more time without her coming up to get the reward.

Although I understand that it isnt really you that should be doing the training.

Not sure I would encourage her by calling her back over though
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:16 PM
God help the neighbour's dog if it got into our garden. If it was the yappy little thing from out the back if Cherry and Parker didn't finish it off I would be tempted! I've often had fantasies about air-guns when its woken me up late at night or early in the morning with its relentless high-pitched yapping that is allowed to go on for ages.

They are quite territorial and wouldn't tolerate another dog being in their garden.