View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Kismet has always humped things... She mostly humps any toy big enough or her dog bed.. she's never done it to me or another dog, but she's showing no signs of growing out of it and doesn't seem the least bit interested in whether I have noticed her doing it or not!
DogBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
My friend that has a cocker bitch that cocks her leg!! It's so funny to watch!!
She also has 2 massive kennels that house 3 bitches each, and they regularly have humping sessions! It worse when one of them is in season!!
When Misty was little, she used to hump arms, legs of anyone that sat still long enough!
Can vouch for that I have my boys and girls separated at the moment as the girls are in season and al the girls are taking it in turns at the moment, and the boys are doing the same lol!

Originally Posted by alady?? View Post
A lot of the time the "humping" action is actually more a dominant behaviour than a sexual one, especially in young dogs...when they play with their siblings they do it ...my Beardie girl does it a lot to the other girls if they get too excited, and if I been away for a long time she tries it with me,... basically thats her way of telling you off, and stamping her authority. If she does it to you ignore her, brush her off and walk away
Please don't think humping has anything to do with dominance, it is usually a displacement activity due to over excitement. Just ignore it and you'll be fine.
Becky
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 08:38 AM
I found that it can also be an anxiety thing.
My last bitch had a lot of "issues" and would hump for England in new or threatening situations.
She grew out of it when she had settled in and became more confident.
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post

Please don't think humping has anything to do with dominance, it is usually a displacement activity due to over excitement. Just ignore it and you'll be fine.
Becky
Malhooli why do think it cant possibly be anything to do with dominance, it is sometimes, especially in pups, its how they play to see whos on top.... have seen it very often

It can be caused by all manner of reasons, sexual, nerves, dominance, all in all its a behaviour you dont want so once you think you know why she is doing it then you can rectify the problem if it offends you.

Flynn will do it if the others are running riot in the garden, she will grab Raven (we call it the rugby tackle) and hump her until she lies down, which considering she is the smallest out them all is very amusing to watch
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by alady?? View Post
Malhooli why do think it cant possibly be anything to do with dominance, it is sometimes, especially in pups, its how they play to see whos on top.... have seen it very often
because dominance is a very outdated 'theory'. Dogs do not spend their whole time trying to get to the top. They don't work like that! To put all behaviour down as dominance is very dangerous as it prevents you from finding out the real reason for it.
Becky
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
because dominance is a very outdated 'theory'. Dogs do not spend their whole time trying to get to the top. They don't work like that! To put all behaviour down as dominance is very dangerous as it prevents you from finding out the real reason for it.
Becky
Outdated??? oh well it cant be that then can it??? How ludicrous..

i said it could be a manner of reasons, and that being one of them, I feel an all rounded idea of everyones experience is the best form of advice do you not..?

i never once said thats all dogs do, they would be pretty nuts if it was...nor did I say that ALL behaviour was due to dominance! I was only passing on what I have experienced in my own dogs and dogs at work.., You would be amazed at all the small signs in large dogs that are them trying to be "bigger" than you, things that probably go less noticed in smaller breeds.
DogBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Again thanks everyone
SamRottLabb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Yep three humpers here! Although I have to say two of them get on the wrong way round on the others head's!

Generally they only do it when in season.

It can also be a sign of dominance.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Gosh! I was so shocked last night to see Tilly humping my teddy bear on the bed, then stopping & licking his face & starting again! This went on for ages. She is right in the middle of her season just now & poor thing must be deparate for some nookie!
There were fireworks going off outside at the same time & she kept stopping & looking round. I just continued ironing & didn't say a word thinking to myself this could develop into her humping when she hears fireworks if I give her attention. Though I did video her on my phone just to show hub
Then I called her out of the bedroom as she had her eye on my Harrods bear collection - no way am I letting her hump them!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2