Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 10:59 PM

So angry

I was looking on the kennel club website looking at dobie puppies born well a well known breeder has registered another litter of puppies the bitch this will be the third litter in as many seasons she is now 3 1/2 and had three litters. This makes me really angry as this breeder knows that one of her pups has all these problems and knows that one of the dogs she is using has it as well but doesnt care some poor unsuspecting fool like me will have a puppy that will have all sorts of problems.
This poor bitch has had 30 puppies in 1 1/2 years surely the kennel club shouldnt register 3 litters in less than two years.
Mary
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 11:01 PM
To be honest i dont think the KC checks or even cares as long as they are getting their fees for registrations
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Dont they say that they will only register 2 litters in 2 yrs, When I got Abby I hadnt found the dog forums so thought I was asking all the right questions afraid I was wrong the bitch is owned by the woman and the boyfriend has 'the perfect stud' so unless they get one neutered then this poor bitch will have a litter every season until she cant have anymore .
Is there anything I can do?
Mary
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 11:12 PM
maybe you could contact the KC and just mention it ????
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 11:14 PM
They did try to make a rule that they would not register more than one litter in any 12 month period but finished up being taken to court for restrictive practices and interfering with someone’s legitimate trade. So they withdrew the rule, as a private club the are in trouble if they do and trouble if they don't. Don't think in these days of everyone rushing to law to make a claim there is much the KC can do to stop the practice without the law on breeding being changed people will continue to breed too often and in some cases from dogs that no responsible person would think of using anyway.

Do agree with the sentiments but don't think we can expect the KC to deal with these problems we will have to do that ourselves if anything is to be done at all. Push home to people how to do as many checks as possible before buying but sadly people want a puppy quicker than well bred pups are available and there will always be the breeder who will fill the gap and the purchaser to will buy even if they do know they should be more careful.
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 11:33 PM
I agree more education is needed I wouldnt swap Abby for the world but if I knew then what I now know I would never have bought a puppy from this person.
When Abby was about six months I got a phone call from a woman asking me what I thought about this person as the breeder had given out my no. without telling me I told the person that she hadnt done all the health checks and that Abby was six months old so the breeder so the poor bitch didnt have a season in between litters. She decided not to get a puppy from her and contacted the Dobermann club for advice.
Mary
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Mary, I am so sorry you have had to learn the hard way the importance of buying with the greatest care. Sometimes I despair of the present situation when even well respected breeders do not take every opportunity offered to them to make sure the pups they produce are as fit, healthy and as near the breed standard as possible.

We are beating our heads against a brick wall trying to stop people who are just breeding for money or because they can from poor quality animals or even animals from different breeds unless we can put our own house in order and do something about the many breeders who do belong to a breed club, do have reasonable quality dogs but still make no effort to test their breeding stock for known breed problems and when challenged the excuses is well I have never had a problem or my dogs do not carry that, how can they possibly know if they don’t test when they could and don't study the lines of the dogs they are using.

The puppy buying public must put the sort of care into buying a puppy as they do into buying a car or a house, if anything the puppy is far more important and dealing with the faults more expensive but the house and car are just not cute and fluffy. You really do not deserve me going on like this but every time I hear of a case like yours or see a photograph of someone’s beloved pet who is so badly made there is no doubt that there will be problems in the future, ok will get of the soap box and make another pot of coffee.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 08:20 AM
I agree lel it does seem that as long as the kc get their fee they dont stop it dont know if they are just too busy to realise or not as I did once query the amount of pups from one breeder and they did seem to be unaware I suppose like everything else its paperwork and time to check there are just so nmany breeders that they cant check them all bring it to their attension is the only answer sad I know but at least you will have done your bit
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 08:51 AM
As I said SB, they can't do anything about it, it is against the law to restrict the trading of someone who is trading within the law, dare say they like the money but they can't refuse registration if the dogs used for the breeding are registered. No good but they tried to deal with it and had to withdraw the rule, some restriction is now only applies to licensed breeders who are controlled by the law of the land. Private clubs can't make laws unless they are called parliament.

EDIT: There are some occasions when breeding from consecutive seasons is considered acceptable and in some cases advisable, but that is not the issue here. Do think it wrong but it is no good blaming the KC, they can do nothing about it.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Just to say this topic has opened my eyes, because I as pet owner really thought that there were restrictions on this kind of breeding.

I think we should ask Azz to move this topic to another section. As in chat it could be deleted after a while and it is something that needs to be kept to remind potential puppy buyers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >