Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jedina
New Member!
Female 

12-07-2006, 08:10 AM

yogurt

Hi, i've read that yogurt can help the dog digestions and improve health....what you think about this?
Someone feed yogurt to their dogs?

I have decided to continue feed Burns but i will want to add some "real" things and fresh food to kibble, like vegetables and yogurt...

Thank you
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 08:12 AM
mine have bio yogurt on there food twice a week
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
mine have bio yogurt on there food twice a week
mine too.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
I give mine natural yoghurt if their stools are a bit soft it is good for preventing the runs apart from other advantages it has.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I have decided to continue feed Burns but i will want to add some "real" things and fresh food to kibble, like vegetables and yogurt...

Hi Jedina yogurt is good (preferable live organic in small amounts because it does contain some lactose and this can give your dog diarrhoea) .Cottage cheese is also very good and nutritious even in lactose intolerant dogs because the lactose is converted to lactic acid during the production of the cheese.

I don't subscribe to the theory that you can't feed other things when feeding a complete food because you make the diet unbalanced, I think that idea may have been put around by the complete food manufacturers. What I do think though is that you must introduce a complete food slowly by adding a little at a time to other food because it takes a dogs tummy a while to adjust to dehydrated food and the need to take in more water. You can switch the other way (complete to fresh ) without having to take time doing it. It's amazing when you switch from complete to fresh food how much less a dog needs to drink.

Vegetables are excellent, I blanch /steam for just a moment (except potatoes which need to be properly cooked), or feed left over steamed chopped vegetables. Also fish, tinned sardines are cheap and nutritious (not in brine). My dog likes fruit particularly apples pears and strawberries she has just a small amount..all things in moderation. Avoid grapes and onions.
jedina
New Member!
Female 

12-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi minihaha,
There's a great reply ! My vet always keep me aware from add things to dog food, and so i have feed just dry food for years ....but now i will change!!!
I have choose burns that is holistic and i want add many holistic food that i eat myself!
I never feed cottage and yogurt because i was think that this cause loose stools...thank you at all that have reassured me. I will start to add yogurt today and tomorrow with carrots and tomatoes. Tomatoes from my own garden
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 11:17 AM
I add natural bio yogurt to my dogs stuffed kongs and freeze it.

Bev
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by jedina
Hi minihaha,
There's a great reply ! My vet always keep me aware from add things to dog food, and so i have feed just dry food for years ....but now i will change!!!
I have choose burns that is holistic and i want add many holistic food that i eat myself!
I never feed cottage and yogurt because i was think that this cause loose stools...thank you at all that have reassured me. I will start to add yogurt today and tomorrow with carrots and tomatoes. Tomatoes from my own garden
Tomatoes and Tomato Plants
These contain atropine which can cause dialated pupils, tremors and irregular heartbeat. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, next is the unripe (green) tomatoes and then the ripe tomato.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:24 PM
I also feed my pup Burns, but she still has oats with yoghurt for breakfast, and I add some sardine to one other meal each day (she loves that! ) I also use tiny pieces of hard cheese (0.5 cm cubes or smaller) as treats for training.

Try yours on some carrots, and save those delicious tomatoes for yourself
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by madmare
I add natural bio yogurt to my dogs stuffed kongs and freeze it.

Bev

Only problem with that is that freezing it kills most the good bacteria the youghurt contains.

I give bio youghurt when my dogs get the runs, clears it up in no time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >