View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Ah! Internal conflict... help me..... !!

Well........ I am all for adopting a dog for a rescue, but now I am all confuzzled!!

A friend of mine heard I was getting a dog and decided to tell me about her friend who bought a bitch off the freeads sometime ago. Not long after bringing her home, the bitch gives birth! (She thought she was just a fatty). The lady is thinking of taking the pups to the shelter because they are more than she bargained for (when they are old enough) and my mate says I should get one.

What should I do?? I was planning on a rescue dog, now I feel like if I DO have a pup, I will be cheating another dog out of a potential home?? Additionally..... my heart strings are being pulled thinking...... that pup could be mine, and she would be more of a 'fresh slate' and younger so I can train her to be respectful of the bunnies......

Argh! The conflict! Help me Dogsey!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:43 PM
OK firstly what breed are these pups?

Also be aware that as the dog was bought via an ad, there will have been NO health testing of the parents.

This means that you could quite possibly end up with a dog that develops serious health problems. And some breeds are prone to some really bad problems, health-wise.

It's up to you of course - personally if I did not get a rescue, I would go to a top breeder as at least then there is less chance of health problems later on.

Have you met these pups?
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
OK firstly what breed are these pups?

Also be aware that as the dog was bought via an ad, there will have been NO health testing of the parents.

This means that you could quite possibly end up with a dog that develops serious health problems. And some breeds are prone to some really bad problems, health-wise.

It's up to you of course - personally if I did not get a rescue, I would go to a top breeder as at least then there is less chance of health problems later on.

Have you met these pups?
The pups are Jack Russells. They could be crosses of course, she doesnt know what the dad is. But they look Jack Russelly!

But think about it..... all the dogs I saw at the shelter ALSO have no history. All the ones I liked were found as strays in Ireland.... no history, no age, nothing, and certainly no idea of the parents.

Going to a breeder was never anything I was considering. There are plenty of dogs out there in the world that already need homes without people adding to that. (sorry, thats just the way I am! The buns are rescues too...... )
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:48 PM
PS, no, I havent met the pups ..... YET.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Get the pup---it needs a home as much as any other dog does. No shame in enjoying having a pup and bringing it up the way you want to.

rune
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Get the pup---it needs a home as much as any other dog does. No shame in enjoying having a pup and bringing it up the way you want to.

rune

I like this answer.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:53 PM
agree have the pup if they are going into a shelter then they will be rescue pups! agree you dont know about health checks with a rescue dog either or the history where as a pup you will
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:55 PM
It's your call, of course. I guess it depends on whether you meet and fall in love with one of the pups

Are you being asked to actually buy the pup? Because frankly if yes, then again, I think the money would be better spent being donated to a rescue.

If you buy the pup, you are effectively rewarding your friend's friend for getting a dog via a free ad.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys. I just feel so guilty. Its like munching out on a bunch of chocolate! Ive always dreamed of having a pup..... I am fully prepared for either in all fairness..... oh goshy!!

I have sent an email asking a few questions, for a photo, how is mum, how much does she know about mum etc.

I hate waiting for emails back! My hands are all clammy with excitement!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
If you have the time to devote to a puppy, I would agree with Rune. The pups will all be looking for homes if they end up in rescue (admittedly they will find homes quicker than the older dogs) so you are still giving a home to a dog rather than adding your name to a breeders list and having a pup bred for you so to speak.

No, you will have no guarantees regarding their health, but that also applies to some of the older dogs in rescue centres.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >