Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 09:05 AM

keeping clean

what can i use to help millie keep "down below" clean ? shes always been a very clean girl , but since shes been pregers she cant reach aswel as she used to ... and with 3 weeks to go i see this starting to be a problem im off to pets at home in a little while is there anything i should be looking to buy for this problem ... or do normal baby wipes do the trick ..(thought they maybe ok on dogs as they dont bother kids !) but thought i would check on here first.... sorry to be a pain but have had lots of great advice of this forum ...
julie
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 09:09 AM
you can buy doggy wipe downs, i should imagine they are safer than using babywipes? afterall baby skin is diff from doggy skin?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 09:31 AM
I use wet wipes plus I bought a childs inflatable paddling pool, inflated just the bottom ring and put warm water in it, my girls were quite happy to step in and I just wash underneath and their feet!

Just make sure she is dry afterwards!
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 09:32 AM
cc thats a great idea ..... thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Millies mum, a word on keeping clean ..when your bitch is due to whelp do not be tempted to wash her tummy with anything strong smelling..water with a pinch of salt is all that is needed if anythig at all. Millie will lick her puppies then her own teats and in so doing will lay scent trail for the puppies to follow ,that way the puppies know where to go to feed.
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Millies mum, a word on keeping clean ..when your bitch is due to whelp do not be tempted to wash her tummy with anything strong smelling..water with a pinch of salt is all that is needed if anythig at all. Millie will lick her puppies then her own teats and in so doing will lay scent trail for the puppies to follow ,that way the puppies know where to go to feed.

thanks mini , i didnt know that ... oh i get great advice on here
just to add will millie clean up herself after whelping ? or does she need a hand? and while im here ... ive bought vetbed for the whelping box does she give birth on this (if shes in there) or do i leave that till all pups are born ? if i line whelping box with something else what ? shredded newspaper ?
thanx
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I use newspaper during whelping, they like to have a good dig in the paper, then put the vetbed in when she's settling with her new babies
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

30-04-2005, 10:33 AM
MM - Try to get hold of a copy of "The Book of the Bitch". Lots of very helpful advice there I think the vet bed is for post whelping, & that shredded paper may pose a suffocation risk for the newborns. Mini will be able to give you advice about that.
Meg
Supervisor

30-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Hi Mllies Mum yes Millie should clean herself after whelping..I would put newspaper and an old towel down when she starts and keep the vet bed for later ..at the start of whelping bitches need to be able to tare the paper up and shuffle it around with their nose if they wish , this 'making beds' is a practice run for the pushing puppies around with the nose and 'imprinting' that comes later

EDITED TO SAY Sorry CC and SB all posting at the same time ...agree with SB about removing the shredded paper for newborns..also paper when the bitch has finished whelping is not so good for little paws to grip ..vet bed or an old towel is best
would also agree please buy The book of the bitch ..you can get it online on Amazon
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 04:41 PM
thanks all ,ive got the book .. not found all info yet , read so far, then freak myself out!!! i am gonna keep vet bed till pups are born and use a mixture of newspaper and towels
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >