Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
remove and means test all the over 75 free benefits...winter fuel, free travel, and tv licence.
Great for the likes of my parents who are both retired and paid their way all their lives (middle income, not high flyers), now scraping to get by on pensions but not actually on benefits as such. My dad is terminally ill (cancer) and my mum is in and out of hospital at the moment as well so would be nice for them to see out their days without worry of finances. His car is getting so difficult to drive due to age that he really needs to replace it but doesn't think it's 'affordable' to do so and wont accept help from me to get a replacement.

I lost my nan a couple of years back and whilst she scrimped and saved to afford her stairlift so she could stay in her own house, her friends were in awe at how she 'got that off the council'...she worked all her life and was living off her pension and savings, they got benefits as they didn't have the savings that she had built up whilst working so the stuff she had to whittle her savings away for, they got for free.

Personally I don't think means testing for living expenses for pensioners is fair at all She saved all her life to have the same living standard that they had paid for for them.

You get two tiers of 'struggling to get by' Those who struggle to get by on benefit as they are below the thresholds required and those who struggle to get by who are above the threshold. In some circumstances I think it makes more sense to spend all your money rather than save it as you then fall into the 'low income' bracket rather than resting just above it.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Way to go WILBAR! I can still remember the days (thankfully now long-gone) of trying to decide whether or not In could afford a BIG can of baked beans for my tea.

Snorri
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2010, 03:18 PM

decrease foreign aid, cancel it altogether for countries like india, which is the 11th richest economy in the world.
and why are we sending ANY money abroad when we have people born and bred in this country who have paid into it all their working lives who are losing their homes due to lack of income?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I worked for the local government 15 years ago and was made redundnt(I never thought it was a job for life and neither did the 16 others that were paid off at the same time.

I found other stop gap jobs and got by

After working in Social work trying to help others for a mere 4 years I left for reasons of my own sanity and health.

I am now back working with the local council I get £14037 a year, I work 14 hour days for 6 month of the year from 6am - 8pm. The law states you must have 11 hours at home but because our hours drop to 12 in the winter averaged out they are covered. Yes there is the working time directive but we signed a clause. No signature = no job.

Prior to this job I was unemployed for a year and a half applying for any and everything. I don't particularly like my job, yes I moan about it yes if I could get another I would ...if only I could.

Yes I pay into a pension...it is not nearly as good as the pemsion I had whilst working in the private sector. yes I get sick pay but if we have more than 3 occasions of sickness in 5 years we face dismissal...that is including illnesses backed up by doctors notes and includes operations etc, the only saving grace there for some is that obviously some things are covered under the disability discrimination act.

I, like others in the public sector and the private sector, work very hard under sometimes questionable conditions, yes there are people who are surplus to requirements and who take the P but that happens to in the private sector.

People abusing the system is not unique to the public sector.

Yes something needs to be done and yes the private sector faced this before the public sector....but knee jerk ill though out plans rarely work and it is of no consolation to someone facing redundancy that thousands go, in child tax credits, to the families of foreign workers working in this country when their children have never set foot on our soil, and thousands go to pensioners in winter heating allowance when they live in the costa del sol, and those are just two of many examaples. Common sense laws should prevail but doubt they ever will
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 03:51 PM
it hasnt, it just down a fraction.
nothing untoward.

the IFS has stated the group hit hardest are the poor, followed by the rich, and the middle class get hit the least.

ways to ease that burden on the poorest:
cancel trident - I'm all for that, and Nick always has been

remove and means test all the over 75 free benefits...winter fuel, free travel, and tv licence. Yes to the means testing (and I won't be getting any!!!!! )
scrap BBC licence fee, introduce ads. Yep!
pull out of afghanistan - A massive YEP there! Then we might actually be able to KEEP all of our defensive forces in full!increase tax rate for super rich - oh yeeeeees!
decrease foreign aid, cancel it altogether for countries like india, which is the 11th richest economy in the world. YES!!
decrease subsidy to the EU. Or pull out altogether for me, it's millions we pay to that each and every DAY!!!
cancel all road building
For a while maybe, whilst this is all sorted out

Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Way to go WILBAR! I can still remember the days (thankfully now long-gone) of trying to decide whether or not In could afford a BIG can of baked beans for my tea.

Yes, and I can remember coming home from work thinking to myself, hmmm, do I put money in the meter to have a bath tonight, or do I go and buy a loaf of bread, and yet I worked in the private sector and had a darn good job at the time!

Snorri
Originally Posted by gilli and jago View Post
and why are we sending ANY money abroad when we have people born and bred in this country who have paid into it all their working lives who are losing their homes due to lack of income?
Do you know, I honestly can't answer that one!!!!! We were only saying that last night hubby and I when we heard that they had INCREASED foreign aid???!!!!:shock:
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by gilli and jago View Post
Great for the likes of my parents who are both retired and paid their way all their lives (middle income, not high flyers), now scraping to get by on pensions but not actually on benefits as such. My dad is terminally ill (cancer) and my mum is in and out of hospital at the moment as well so would be nice for them to see out their days without worry of finances. His car is getting so difficult to drive due to age that he really needs to replace it but doesn't think it's 'affordable' to do so and wont accept help from me to get a replacement.

I lost my nan a couple of years back and whilst she scrimped and saved to afford her stairlift so she could stay in her own house, her friends were in awe at how she 'got that off the council'...she worked all her life and was living off her pension and savings, they got benefits as they didn't have the savings that she had built up whilst working so the stuff she had to whittle her savings away for, they got for free.

Personally I don't think means testing for living expenses for pensioners is fair at all She saved all her life to have the same living standard that they had paid for for them.

You get two tiers of 'struggling to get by' Those who struggle to get by on benefit as they are below the thresholds required and those who struggle to get by who are above the threshold. In some circumstances I think it makes more sense to spend all your money rather than save it as you then fall into the 'low income' bracket rather than resting just above it.
Had the very same thing here when mum came to live with us, we couldn't get the help with the starlift either, in fact we got no help whatsoever, as she had bothered to be prudent all of her WORKING life We got nothing, zilch coz we could pay! So we spent all her money, so they paid for her end of days care when she needed it, on her instructions! You are better off with nothing, because you then get everything, and that's much better than trying to struggle! I might just jump on that bandwagon when it comes round!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
I worked for the local government 15 years ago and was made redundnt(I never thought it was a job for life and neither did the 16 others that were paid off at the same time.

I have never heard of "redundancies" in the public sector Is this not the same job you are referring to underneath here, i.e. in Social work where you left for your own sanity?? How come that lady mp said on the news last night that "this has never happened before" then??? She emphatically said, they have never had to do this before (can't remember her exact words now though!)

I found other stop gap jobs and got by

After working in Social work trying to help others for a mere 4 years I left for reasons of my own sanity and health.

I am now back working with the local council I get £14037 a year, I work 14 hour days for 6 month of the year from 6am - 8pm. The law states you must have 11 hours at home but because our hours drop to 12 in the winter averaged out they are covered. Yes there is the working time directive but we signed a clause. No signature = no job.

Prior to this job I was unemployed for a year and a half applying for any and everything. I don't particularly like my job, yes I moan about it yes if I could get another I would ...if only I could.

Yes I pay into a pension...it is not nearly as good as the pemsion I had whilst working in the private sector. yes I get sick pay but if we have more than 3 occasions of sickness in 5 years we face dismissal...that is including illnesses backed up by doctors notes and includes operations etc, the only saving grace there for some is that obviously some things are covered under the disability discrimination act.

I, like others in the public sector and the private sector, work very hard under sometimes questionable conditions, yes there are people who are surplus to requirements and who take the P but that happens to in the private sector.

People abusing the system is not unique to the public sector.

But that doesn't matter to us Lynne, when it's not OUR money they're taking does it? We don't care whether they are abusing the system in private sectors. I'm talking about people abusing the welfare system, and that means our money is going to fraudsters, and that wouldn't happen in a private consortium

Yes something needs to be done and yes the private sector faced this before the public sector....but knee jerk ill though out plans rarely work and it is of no consolation to someone facing redundancy that thousands go, in child tax credits, to the families of foreign workers working in this country when their children have never set foot on our soil, and thousands go to pensioners in winter heating allowance when they live in the costa del sol, and those are just two of many examaples. Common sense laws should prevail but doubt they ever will
That should get sorted, I'm sure it will, at least I hope it will, when the whole welfare bill is brought under scrutiny. (and now I'm even more angry as I didn't realise that!!!!)
spot
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
IHi Spot, just wanted to get that off my chest before moving on to yours!

As of last night, the stock market is still up, so I don't know what happened there, when you say this morning it dropped like a stone, I'll be checking that one out.

The growth will come from wherever it has always come from, there will always be people with good jobs, mediocre jobs, mundane jobs, and plenty of dosh to splash about. Apparently, people who are on benefits are living close to the breadline so they say, so in effect, they are not the people who are contributing towards the growth are they. If you put all these latest redundancies into context with the amount of the population who ARE still working, it's probably quite a low percentage I would have thought, so again,growth will still happen (hopefully!).

I agree, there will of course be further cuts, the fiscal studies people said that last night, there HAS to be more cuts for this to work. As I said in my first ever post in here, it's the pm's I want sorting out, I didn't mention the poor unfortunates who have already been targeted, and I strongly feel they will be streamlining parliament soon, you just see if I'm right. Whether they can or not is another matter, I don't know enough about politics to know whether they can reduce the number of mp's by 1/3 or not, perhaps you do? There are some of these who as I mentioned again in my first or 2nd post, who do not warrant their existence, these were my initial target, not the council workers losing their jobs, nor the police, nor the firefighters, for God's sake, they're the ones we actually NEED. The Quangoes too, most of those can go in my book, total waste of money and recourses, we managed without them before, and can do so again.
Oy get orf my chest!!!

The FTSI is down today, watching the stock market it usually does rise after any fiscal announcement but will change after full analysis.

Growth in the economy does not always come for one thing. But it comes from basically from employment being high, thus creating more demand for goods, thus creating more demand for labour, thus increasing GDP. Not necessarily what jobs people are doing, and I disagree there will not always be plenty of dosh to splash about – thats what recessions are (slumps in growth) and depressions (stagnate growth).

Demand can of course be a problem, the less disposable income people have (unemployment, less benefits etc) demand for goods and services will drop, labour requirement drops, GDP drops. This is when many governments step in and try to create a economic growth by increasing public spending, building schools, roads etc. Its a very fine line to draw as you can imagine.

And there endith you economic lesson for the day – hopefully not too boring. Its a fascinating topic and one I used to study in depth so sorry if Im either boring you or telling you something you already know.

Politics are not my strong point, as I say Im more interested in macroeconomics but it would take an extensive redefining of the boundaries to increase the polling areas, so you could end up with an MP from inner city Manchester representing people living in rural lancashire for instance. It has been done before the problem lies in that which ever party is in power will always skew it to their own advantage (not all MP's are honest dont ya know).

Im not sure about Jols method of cutting MP's in half! Just think if they survived it would double the amount of MP's!!!

We could of course just get rid of the Lords.

To get into microeconomics and the police etc. the Home Office budget is being cut by over 20% and whilst many effected will be those pen pushers people hate so much, that amount of cut in budget cannot feasibly only come from that sector. The government have not actually said that front line police will NOT be cut.

At the end of the day with these cuts it will still be the poorer section of society that will lose the most and the top end lose the least.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2010, 04:18 PM
The anti-public sector cr*p being spouted here reminds me of another tale.....

I was working in an Unemployment Benefit Office, taking claims. This rather annoying man came in with his pal, and said "Hurry up, I'm paying your wages!".
"No, Sir" says I...."You're here because you're not."
His pal exploded into laughter, and told him "Hey, he's got you there!"

Public sector workers - totally useless until you need them.

Snorri

PS - note the polite (civil?) use of the word "Sir".....
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 04:20 PM
H, ther were 17 people made redundant from the Leisure and communities department, I can only speak for that department but I know others lost their jobs throughout Scotland when working for local authorities when they had a big drive to break up regions - it was done under the guidse of local government reorganisation.

Yes it was local government and yes it was reorganisation so I guess they named it well. And now....the talk in my work is that they will go back to the old way of a regional organisation not a local so instead of say Dundee it will be Tayside when Tayside doesn't even exist as an actual boundary anymore!

I know what you are saying avout it being "our" money that goes to paying wages etc so it is more emotive but I don't understand why it doesn't worry you or maybe worry is the wrong word, why you think it affects you less if its the private sector. they have to cover costs too, so for example Tesco, or Marks and Spencer , charge a price for their goods, the price they charge is factored on a lot of things but a main factor is the cost, so if they did not have to pay sick pay to those memebers of staff who are not really sick , as well as overtime to staff who have to cover shifts then your shopping would be cheaper, therefore everyone who is a consumer subsidises the sick and the surplus staff in even the private sector. Yes I admit their will be less surplus staff but I can bet my last dollar, or pound, that there are many instances still surplus staff, they just still make a profit by charging higher prices for services and goods than would be necessary if the kiddy on sick and the surplus staff were weeded out
Page 18 of 27 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »