Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post
You dont need the puppy to be KC registered to be able to check ancestry, you just need a pedigree certificate. 75% of puppy buyers dont even bother to change ownership.

I didnt say litters shouldnt be registered, I said that for the average pet owner, it didnt mean much. They wouldnt know about endorsements, how many litters a bitch can have etc.

What views?
Like has been said - the paperwork can be false. Finding a breeder that KC registers and DNA profiles, will stop you buying a pup possibly from the wrong parents!

75% of owners may not change ownership - but that their choice - and on that merit alone doesnt mean, they should buy a KC registered pup.

For the avarge pet owner it will mean little/nothing and you are right - this is one reason there are so many bad breeders around because the general public are usless, and dont have a clue what their supporting when buying from un registereds dogs. The bitch could have had a litter every 6months all her life for all they knew

- and before someone brings up the whole all dogs need a home, I know!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Like has been said - the paperwork can be false. Finding a breeder that KC registers and DNA profiles, will stop you buying a pup possibly from the wrong parents!

75% of owners may not change ownership - but that their choice - and on that merit alone doesnt mean, they should buy a KC registered pup.

For the avarge pet owner it will mean little/nothing and you are right - this is one reason there are so many bad breeders around because the general public are usless, and dont have a clue what their supporting when buying from un registereds dogs. The bitch could have had a litter every 6months all her life for all they knew

- and before someone brings up the whole all dogs need a home, I know!
But you knew what you were doing and still got caught out----it happens a lot more than you think.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
But you knew what you were doing and still got caught out----it happens a lot more than you think.

rune
But Rune I didnt get caught out in that sense did I, I knew most of the lies, and unethical going ons before I brought pupster home - I had a chance to walk away.. I knew actually what I was supporting, something I never should have supported but I did..My eyes werent closed - but thats the choice I made and one I shall deal with..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 05:05 PM
whether a breeder has scruples or not.....certain types will supply to demand

yes, the breeder should be doing X,Y and Z but if they arent and someone will hand thier money over anyway, then they will breed to sell and make that money

so its up to the public/buyer to decide what they pay for and if they want crap (for want of a better phrase - and no I am not calling someones dog in particular crap) then they will get it

How many people do you hear complaining about McDonalds food - yet they thrive

How many people do you hear going on about puppy farms, yet they thrive

If demand wasnt there, supply wouldnt be.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Getting the odd unscrupulous person falsifying information, does not make the whole system unworkable.
Please point out where I said it was?

Your post seemed to indicate that the KC was the only registration system that enabled you to be sure of a dogs ancestry.
I apologise if that was not what you meant.

I was merely pointing out that IMO this is not this is not the case.
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I know of breeder and when someone went to view a puppy, he had three litters all living together, and had no idea who the parents were. They were all KC registered, but the pedigree didnt mean a thing.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I know of breeder and when someone went to view a puppy, he had three litters all living together, and had no idea who the parents were. They were all KC registered, but the pedigree didnt mean a thing.
DNA profiling is a wonderful thing... & having three litters at anyone time, doesnt make breeder sound the best!
People seem to think we are saying KC registered puppies ALWAYS come from ethical breeders - well I am saying far from that, I know of many KC registered breeders I wouldnt touch with a barge pole..BUT KC registerations IS one thing I would ideally look for...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 05:27 PM

And you know of good breeders too who bring their dogs up on weetabix and milk!

A good example of the truth, there are good and bad breeders within and without the KC scheme. Because they are PEOPLE and there are fraudulent and honest people everywhere and NOTHING is foolproof!
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
[I]And you know of good breeders too who bring their dogs up on weetabix and milk!
Yes I do actually. Why dont you give it a rest, you keep harping on about bloomin weetabix, how many litters have you bred? I have probably successfully hand reared more puppies than you have had dogs.

At least I dont feed them on bones, risking broken teeth, fragments lodged in the mouth, intestinal obstructions, and at the very least, worn down molars in the older dog.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Yes I do actually. Why dont you give it a rest, you keep harping on about bloomin weetabix, how many litters have you bred? I have probably successfully hand reared more puppies than you have had dogs.

At least I dont feed them on bones, risking broken teeth, fragments lodged in the mouth, intestinal obstructions, and at the very least, worn down molars in the older dog.
ohh get of your high horse will you.. weetabix is not nutritional enough for a young pup, you should know that having bred yourself...

Why have you been hand rearing pup? ...

Dogs can choke on kibble and there have been more cases of such
Page 17 of 26 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »