Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Tropical Fish

I have got 10 tropical fish in my current tank which is a aqua tank and a square shape not very big. I have had my fish over a year now and they are settled but i want to get a bigger tank, the next size up but i dont want to upset my fish as it took me ages for the tank and the fish to establish, any ideas.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 04:04 PM
It is quite easy actually. Just move all the gravel from your current tank (you'll obviously need more new gravel too, in order to fill the space) into the new one. Also, if you have had your current tank running for a year, your filter will be more than established. Just move that over too. Even take the water from the old tank and put most of it into the new one. You are just affectively putting all the old into the new with just a couple of 'extras' (more gravel/water). With your filter you won't need to cycle your new tank again. I've done this plenty of times and introduced the fish from the old tank into the new one on the same day (although if you are worried, take a sample of water down to your local aquatics store and ask if they could test it for you, just incase).
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
It is quite easy actually. Just move all the gravel from your current tank (you'll obviously need more new gravel too, in order to fill the space) into the new one. Also, if you have had your current tank running for a year, your filter will be more than established. Just move that over too. Even take the water from the old tank and put most of it into the new one. You are just affectively putting all the old into the new with just a couple of 'extras' (more gravel/water). With your filter you won't need to cycle your new tank again. I've done this plenty of times and introduced the fish from the old tank into the new one on the same day (although if you are worried, take a sample of water down to your local aquatics store and ask if they could test it for you, just incase).
Thanks for that info, its really helpful and not as hard as i imagined it was going to be, have you ever had a tank with a stand thats was my next adventure, currently our tank is on a square small table which is fine for that amount of water but not too sure if it would be suitable for more water, but i was worried about a stand just in case the dogs knocked it like they do now sometimes, it is in a corner out of the way but they still manage to brush past and knock it slightly.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Thanks for that info, its really helpful and not as hard as i imagined it was going to be, have you ever had a tank with a stand thats was my next adventure, currently our tank is on a square small table which is fine for that amount of water but not too sure if it would be suitable for more water, but i was worried about a stand just in case the dogs knocked it like they do now sometimes, it is in a corner out of the way but they still manage to brush past and knock it slightly.
How big is your new tank? as you say, you have to be careful what you rest the tank on the bigger you get. I personally have two of mine on stands and one (which is 60 litres) on the worktop in my utility room.

As for the dogs knocking over, again it really depends how big it is. Tanks which are large-ish and filled obviously weigh rather a lot and a dog would literally have to throw itself at the tank to stand a chance of knocking it over. In a corner it would be fine.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How big is your new tank? as you say, you have to be careful what you rest the tank on the bigger you get. I personally have two of mine on stands and one (which is 60 litres) on the worktop in my utility room.

As for the dogs knocking over, again it really depends how big it is. Tanks which are large-ish and filled obviously weigh rather a lot and a dog would literally have to throw itself at the tank to stand a chance of knocking it over. In a corner it would be fine.
It would be 2ft across by 1ft tall.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 05:16 PM
What sort of tropical fish do you have I keep Cichlids, specifically from Lake Tanganyika, they are freshwater tropicals.

But in the midst of getting back into keeping "standard" tropicals. I love Sailfin Mollies.....orange black and silver...will have to find a few decent ones then bred my own again. Will keep them with a few platties and shoal of corries...and maybe guppies....but they breed so fast you get swamped.
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 11:04 PM
I have a 56 gallon corner tank and have about 15 fish in it. Here's a couple of plecs that I have. they measure about 8"

kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
What sort of tropical fish do you have I keep Cichlids, specifically from Lake Tanganyika, they are freshwater tropicals.

But in the midst of getting back into keeping "standard" tropicals. I love Sailfin Mollies.....orange black and silver...will have to find a few decent ones then bred my own again. Will keep them with a few platties and shoal of corries...and maybe guppies....but they breed so fast you get swamped.
I have got Danios, harlequins and rummy noses.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by scotbun1 View Post
I have a 56 gallon corner tank and have about 15 fish in it. Here's a couple of plecs that I have. they measure about 8"

Thats really nice, i would like to get maybe a couple of bigger fish to go with my small ones. I have had problems with my little tank with the light, my dad says that i fill it up too much with water and that the water gets into the electrics and so the light stops working, i only fill it up to the maximum line but i like the light cause its pretty.