Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Really starting to feel like I'm alone on the salt front ;o))))
I'm sure your not, but if you have health issues or someone in the family has, salt, sugar, bikkies cakes booze etc,. are always the first to go.....
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I use salt but the lo salt like you said Pidge, although i am partial to Maldon sea salt. Microwaving is a bit of a cheat but they take soooooo long to cook otherwise.
I didn't know Maldon had its own sea salt . I live near there to and my son does live there.
I'm a cheat and do mine in the microwave, I even have a special microwave thing with spikes that holds up to 4 jacket potatoes.
I then put in a bowl grated cheese and chopped cooked smoked back bacon, scoop out the middles and mash it all together and then put it back in the jackets. Really yummy and so simple.
My daughters a veggie so I do the same for her just use her Quorn bacon instead.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Madmare - yep made in Maldon - nice place, nearly ended up living there, Southminster and Burnham on Crouch is nice as well - sorry going off topic.

A lot of chefs use Maldon sea salt its good quality stuff !
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Ok, now don't laugh but I'm about to ask a really stupid cooking question!!

I'm really fancying jacket potatoes for my tea tonight but must admit I've never cooked jacket spuds before. Is there any set technique? How long should I cook them for and at what temp for a fan assisted electric oven?

And what's your favourite filling whilst we're thinking about it? I'm having tuna Mayo and chives in mine tonight.
I always do mine at around 190 for around an hour, and turn them half way through. The cheat way which I use on occasion is to stick them in the microwave for 10 minutes, again turning them over half way through.

Seems to work for me...
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Really starting to feel like I'm alone on the salt front ;o))))
Nope we have salt too. Rub in olive oil then salt and pepper...gotta be done
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I'm sure your not, but if you have health issues or someone in the family has, salt, sugar, bikkies cakes booze etc,. are always the first to go.....
True Steph. My Dad has high cholesterol (he is the skinniest thing you've ever seen) so it's no sat fat for him!

The only bad thing we have in our house is wine ;o)
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
SALT!!!!!!! That's a definite NO NO in this house. OH had a heart attack last year. Strictly no salt house here (well apart from a sprinkle in the veg when boiling them - you have to don't you)!
Microwaves are cheating but the insides go soooooo soft and scrummy (yummmmmm)
Try steaming veg, you dont need salt and they are much much nicer! Oooooooooooops off topic again
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Try steaming veg, you dont need salt and they are much much nicer! Oooooooooooops off topic again
Oh yes. I never boil my veggies. Steaming is the way forward, gotta have just the right amount of crunch in 'em!

I'm really craving broccoli now and jackets. Hmmm, Maybe salmon, steam broc', leeks, green beans and lemon mash is on for tonight. Yes, that's it!!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh yes. I never boil my veggies. Steaming is the way forward, gotta have just the right amount of crunch in 'em!

I'm really craving broccoli now and jackets. Hmmm, Maybe salmon, steam broc', leeks, green beans and lemon mash is on for tonight. Yes, that's it!!
I won't find out till I get home, OH is cooking tonight. I'm not finished till 8pm
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Well just finished eating the first jacket spud that I cooked myself and it was lush!!

I pricked with a fork, coated in olive oil, sprinkled with grinded sea salt and cooked for an hour a half at 180 and they were perfect.

Then had it filled with tuna mayo and cheese!

Delicious!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >