Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 06:56 AM

No rawhide chews anymore???

Hi guys

Well as most of you know, I've been having a "few" problems with Luna's tummy lately (and its almost certain that its all my own fault). Its always great with hind sight, isnt it?

My question is.... Coud she all of a sudden not cope with rawhide chews anymore???

She LOVES rawhide chews.. And they are wot have kept her teeth nice and white so far.

I'm on 80% kibble and 20% rice and fish today.

During this past week (and maybe a day last week) I let her have her rawhide chew for 15-30 minutes and she was happily chomping away. But the next morning and evening, she had (and have again this morning) a soft stool...

Could this be just a part of the transition (?) or will she just all of a sudden have gotten "allergic" to the chews???

If she has.. I would have to find other similar things to keep HER happy and her teeth white. Any ideas? Raw bones, but how often can I give her that???

EDIT: added a few pics:

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Could there have been something different about this chew? Did it have a different coating to usual? Or could it have been a bacteria problem (salmonella)?

I have read that too much rawhide can cause diarrhea and this is sometimes confused as a food issue, so maybe Luna has this?

Not sure if anyone else can tell you more but I will pm you some websites that mention it.

I guess the alternatives are raw bones and hard veg, eg carrots, although too many of these can cause problems too. I give Loki a big bone once a week and it does seem to cause some problems for a day afterwards. I did try nylabones but he was eating them and that worried me. He does have pig's ears and the occasional raw hide chew and a big rope to chew on.

Very cute pics btw.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2005, 07:38 AM
As you know, I am not a fan of rawhide chews in any shape or form. A solid meaty bone, or a chicken frame to crunch on would be better imo - but only when you are there to supervise. Alternatively you can clean her teeth with a brush & special dog toothpaste, or you can buy the oral gel/liquid which you either rub onto her teeth or squirt into her mouth.

Chew toys such as ropes also help, as do hard biscuits.
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 07:40 AM
too much rawhide can cause " runny" poo ... im suffering right now cause tyson had a few yesterday .. hubby just keeps feeding him !!!! tyson usually has a cast iron tummy . but all the chews yesterday and its a little off today ..
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 07:58 AM
I've never liked rawhide and don't use it.

You could try a 'nylabone' and the various varieties of that - nubbly ones for tooth cleaning, plain ones for having a good chew. Dinah loves hers.

We can buy the middle bit of marrow bones (the hollow 'tube') which has been processed/sterilized and can be plain, or filled with various doubtful stuff. If you could get a plain one you could use it like a kong - smear a little bit of soft cheese or something inside. Again, Dinah is quite happy to just chomp on the plain dry bone (poor little orphan - send for the RSPCA. lol)

Carrots/brocolli/celery if she'll eat it, are good for munching too.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-07-2005, 08:25 AM
ours have rawhide but not on a regular basis leo's have funny tums and it doesn't take alot to turn it.
i give them raw bones but very rarely as they will eat the bone.
we just give food,biscuits and a treat regularly so it helps keep the tums settled.
the only other thing j is clean luna's teeth like sb said i do ours with the vet toothpaste and they love it.
think its chicken flavour and both would eat it out the tube given the chance i know over here you can get biscuits that are shaped to help with plaque etc and are really hard we give a few now and again.
i think like everything if it doesn't suit your dog avoid it hope you find out whats upsetting her.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Thank you all.

You really all said wot I was thinking

Thank you Linda for the links Got both pm's

SB: Yep I think we will go over to raw bones... I actually did buy a toothbrush for Luna when she was a puppy, but we never got used to it So that's a job for us now

Diane: poor Tyson. Hope he feels better soon, and a big nono to daddy!!!

Hilary: yeah we can buy the filled or empty processed marrowbones.. And the raw marrowbones.. Luna have several here, but they are really not that interesting...

Nylabones... hmm I've heard of them on the american lab site, but I dont really think I've seen any of them in DK.. But I will go hunting in one of the big petstores (Poor ickle Dinah, mummy isn't even giving you a stuffed bone, awwwwww )

Marie: Okay will go ask my vet, if he has toothpaste.. well he does, its just very expenssive - £7 for a tube
Will see if I can find these biscuits...

She doesnt chew rawhides every day.. They are available for her everyday, but sometimes there are days she doesnt touch it, and then there are days, where she chews her heart out.. I think she's really eager these days, as I've taken everything but food away from her, while we were fixing her tummy..

Thank you all
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Never had a problem with rawhide chews and can get away with giving them but not with giving bones, my elderly bitch goes round and pinches everyones, that in turn makes all my males mad who then take it out on one another. So think they would prefer bones but hide chews are about all I can deal with they take about 10 minutes to dispose of where bones take a couple of hours.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Never had a problem with rawhide chews and can get away with giving them but not with giving bones, my elderly bitch goes round and pinches everyones, that in turn makes all my males mad who then take it out on one another. So think they would prefer bones but hide chews are about all I can deal with they take about 10 minutes to dispose of where bones take a couple of hours.
Now I only have Luna, so wont have that problem yet.... anyway

The "funny" part is... Luna has had rawhides since I got her...

Oh well... We'll take a looooooooong break on the rawhides and will go find some bones next week..

Might see if I can find some tomoz in the supermarket, but doubt it...
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 04:31 PM
I gave Lexi a rawhide bone once, she was at the vets the next day very ill. So never again, but there is a few things you can buy now in shops to clean their teeth with.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >