Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Already posted in the links
didn't read the full thread! Nice One - hope the owner contacts one!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
didn't read the full thread! Nice One - hope the owner contacts one!!
I do not think this will be likely.

It was the first thing I suggested (saying they probably had homes waiting!), but the trainer said she had done that and there was no one local, and she was not sure of the policys
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
The policy is simple:
There are nationwide assessors and co-ordinators
The dog will be assessed
It will be matched up to the most suitable home for it.

Some dogs stay in the home until a new one is found, some are fostered and some are kennelled with weimaraner sympathetic owners etc.

This method provides the best chance of success for the dog.

ps if this dog is in the Cornwall area, there is at least one person who can assess the dog there and a kennels in Devon with a co-ordinator.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Ok so the dogs free to good home, can we not get it to a 'foster' home - that being one of us folk - who then goes on to seek help from the breed rescue?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
It may be 'free to a good home' but I do not think she will give it to just anyone.

The trainer is not someone I always agree with, but she will try and help every step of the way.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Theres no hope then, It does P!ss me off some what to see these dogs 'free to good home', but wont seek help from them working to protect the breed! Of course they wont give to just anyone, but we all know theres only so much vetting that can be done - and that doesnt always result in the dog being with the right owners, in the correct home.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Theres no hope then, It does P!ss me off some what to see these dogs 'free to good home', but wont seek help from them working to protect the breed! Of course they wont give to just anyone, but we all know theres only so much vetting that can be done - and that doesnt always result in the dog being with the right owners, in the correct home.
???

For the record I have no issue with dogs free to good home...tis the good bit that is important

This guy would have a better chance (IMO) with a breed rescue, but (as I said before) she will not palm it off on just anyone!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Especially that breed.

Maybe if the local assessor is mentioned to her.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I agree a much better chance.. I havent suggested that she would just palm off to just anyone, but free to good home often does attract the wrong people, and these people will say and do what ever it takes.

Breed rescues are there for a reason, and I just wish people would take advantage of the help offered by them within the breed, and knowledgable.

(not that you can do much, if they refuse to seek help from them!)
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Ok so the dogs free to good home, can we not get it to a 'foster' home - that being one of us folk - who then goes on to seek help from the breed rescue?
If the owner goes through WGCB they often have local owners /members in the area - some of these will take in dogs until they can be rehomed - have done it myself!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >