Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Father to daughter matings?

I should start by saying that I'm not a breeder and never have bred any animal so know nothing about breeding practices. My dogs are speyed and neutered.

I recently received a copy of my boy's pedigree and noticed that there is father to daughter mating over three generations. Should this be a concern or is there a valid reason for why father and daughter would be mated?

I should add that my boy is 7 years old and has no health problems that I'm aware of so far
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:25 AM
As long as done by a reputable breeder who researched all breed lines and health issues it is not a concern.
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks

If they werent bred with the relevant health testing etc could there be problems further down the line if my boy's siblings have been bred since?
I have high doubts that health testing was done.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Depends how far back this was done.If nothing showed up for a couple of generations I doubt wether it will.If this is only 1 or 2 generations back then I would be careful
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:39 AM
My boy is 7 years old now and his Dam was the result of father to daughter mating. I dont know of any having been bred since then so there could be a couple more generations added since then.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Hopefully there won't be any repurcusions then...main thing is your boy is OK
donkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-04-2008, 11:16 AM
imo to much of this linebreeding goes on, kc shoud refuse to register in bred litters
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks Archer. Thats put my mind at rest

Donkey. My dog isnt a kc registered breed so there would be nothing the KC could do at this time.
donkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2008, 11:10 AM
your boy is obviously a healthy lad as he has lived to 7 without problems, and if you havnt bred from him you havnt passed on any genetic problems from the incest mating hopefully the inbreeding stopped after this mating. i am totally against inbreeding for looks.

i am guessing as you didnt mention the breed but know some of the pedigree that you have either a pit type, or a inuit wolfy type dog
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I should start by saying that I'm not a breeder and never have bred any animal so know nothing about breeding practices. My dogs are speyed and neutered.

I recently received a copy of my boy's pedigree and noticed that there is father to daughter mating over three generations. Should this be a concern or is there a valid reason for why father and daughter would be mated?

I should add that my boy is 7 years old and has no health problems that I'm aware of so far

I consider breeding this close should be done only in exceptional circumstances. Inbreeding does increase the chances of problems occuring in the pups and the closer it is, the greater the chances. It does help if there is good knowledge of the lines and all possible health testing has been done, but still there are always genetics defects lying undetected and the closer the breeding, the higher the probability of doubling up and producing these in the pups.

However, regarding your pedigree... if the father x daughter mating is over three generations ago it is of little significance to your dog, only to the offspring produced by that actual mating.

To explain.... to qualify as inbred, a dog has to have common ancestors on both sides of the pedigree. If the father of the FxD mating occurs only on the one side of your dog's pedigree then it doesn't contribute to your dog's inbreeding. If there are no common ancestors at all on both sides, then he isn't inbred at all.

I should point out that this is based on a pedigree as is usually given to owners ie confined to four or five generations. In theory all pedigree dogs are inbred (linebred) to some extent as there will always be common ancestors if you go back far enough.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »