Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Fireworks warning

Hey guys,
Just thought i'd put up a fireworks warning. If you decide to take your dogs out after dusk, please keep them on the lead! Just heard about a dog i know and love who spooked at the sound of a firework, bolted into a road and lost his life

Please keep your dogs on the lead after dark this time of the year just not worth the risk.

R.I.P little man x
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:36 PM
oh gosh that's just terrible
will be staying in after dark, windows closed and tv up high!

this time of year is terrible for fireworks and they will be with us til early next year!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 11:37 PM
ty will be staying onlead at night but wont poop when onlead so i think i will be taking him out later as in 1 am so i can allow him offlead in a little 'garden' (its public, as in its not attached to anyones house but sits next to a building)

R.I.P little dog x
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the warning. I will be walking mine around lunch time and then keeping them in all day after that. Even then I'll have them on a lead just in case some idiot has bangers, which happened last year but fortunately they were on leads...I had to take them straight home as they were terrified...and that was in the middle of the day
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2010, 07:37 AM
This is the only time of year mine actually get to come up to bed with me Altho this year I have someone living with me and he doesn't know yet ........
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 07:57 AM
first year of fireworks with a dog, (puppy), so will heed advice thanks

poor little dog, how devastating.
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah,, thought i'd put the warning out there. It didnt even occur to me to keep my dogs on lead when there might be fireworks going off.

Poor dog. Its really sad when things like this happen
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Poor dog I'm lucky with Rupert, he doesn't even seem to hear the bangs although he seems fascinated by the lights in the sky and will sit and watch them at times. He'll be off leash as usual and I'll probably be less worried about him than I normally am because there's so little chance of us running into another dog.

Shadow was a nightmare though. He learned that if he heard the whistling noise there would be a bang shortly after, he learned that lights in the sky meant bangs and he was absolutely terrified of them. I remember one night not long after bonfire night we turned a corner and the full moon suddenly came into view. Well, that was it. He took off for home practically dragging me behind him.

I really wish they'd limit fireworks to licensed displays or something. While Rupe isn't bothered by them I know a lot of animals are and I've had lit fireworks thrown at me and know someone who had a lit one put into the hood of his coat without him even noticing. Luckily it was a dud and didn't go off.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I only allow mine in the garden after its dark. Boyo doen't like the really loud bangs & runs in, fortunately once he's in he doesn't seem to hear them. Hannah loves fireworks & stays out in the garden watching & listening if there's a display anywhere near.
So sorry to hear about your friends dog.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 12:14 PM
That is very sad.

Another warning re fireworks reported in the basenji breed notes this week.

A Wire Fox Terrier puppy picked up a stick from a spent rocket which had residue on it, the puppy died a dreadful death from total organ failure. The substance couldn't be identified which meant no antidote could be used. The firework had been made in China.

I wish they would ban the things too.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >