Our sister sites
BigBearsRule
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Not going to give you a rollocking
Just want to comment

What if that particular first time dog owner is a very special and commited person?
What if they have the time, energy, patience etc to look after a high energy dog?
Just because they haven't owned one before, why shouldn't they do it for the first time?

Not to be rude to newbie owners and we all have to start somewhere, but.... How many people get dogs thinking they are all prepared, only to find out things are way harder than they thought?
Surely thats why rescues and shelters are full of dogs that have been surrendered or thrown out and left to roam the streets.
I know Im as guilty as the next man, but my first dog was luckily rehomed straight away and had a happy life. that was 20 years ago. these days dogs arent so lucky.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
What different side ?
I have no problem with a first time owner having a high energy dog , as ive already said on this thread once by agreeing with Dales Mum on her post
Its about matching the dog to the owner

and im only going to reply to this once cos the person you are refering too is about to make me scream
her situation isnt good for a springer, as pointed out by a very experienced springer owner/breeder ... im not about to disagree with someone who knows that breed inside out
Don't worry, I'm not trying to get you to scream (LOL) or drag the other thread in, but I did want to know your views other than just agreeing with Dale's Mum. That's all.

We've not met on here yet I don't think (hello) but I'm a first time working springer owner so I am interested in comments about it not being a good idea, as I'm sure Iso is being a boxer owner.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I notice no-one has suggested a setter as a first time breed , they have the most wonderful temperaments but obedience doesn't come easy...I learnt the hard way, we had a labxspaniel as a first dog then, when I was 18 and we lost him I got my first setter, an Irish setter that had to have been the naughtiest dog that was ever born.

After him I got my first English and thought that would be a doddle after the Irish...wrong! Yes, they can be trained but you go one step forward and 5 backwards with them so although I would highly recommend them as a family pet because of their temperament, I would never have sold a pup of mine to a first time owner.

By the way, I'm talking general obedience here, I've never had any trouble with teaching toilet training..just coming back when called and not chewing things.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Sadie(gsd) was my first dog (after previously owning other breeds when at home with my family) and i got her when i was 6 months pregnant- something that alot of people frowned upon, but i put the work in and she is a well balanced, well trained happy dog. what im trying to say is that you dont need to have owned dogs in the past before getting a more challenging breed.
every breed has there own quirks and bring different challeneges/issues and rewards to the table.

what breed a person gets should be down to personal choice and if they have the time to dedicate to a high energy demanding breed then so be it, as long as they know what they are letting themselves in for before they get the dog.

also helena i dont see how a gsd should be classed as harder work than a lab or spaniel, yes gsds are demanding and challenging and also have the issue of natural guarding instincts in there, but labs and spaniels oth have their own needs which are different, not necessarily easier to manage than a gsd.
oh and i was also 19 when i got sadie- shoot me now lol
I only say that because I've had a spaniel, who was a complete doddle in all respects, and then again I've done the puppy bit with 6 gsd's now and imo, they are worlds apart, only to me, through my own experience that is.

I won't shoot ya!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
What different side ?
I have no problem with a first time owner having a high energy dog , as ive already said on this thread once by agreeing with Dales Mum on her post
Its about matching the dog to the ownerand im only going to reply to this once cos the person you are refering too is about to make me scream
her situation isnt good for a springer, as pointed out by a very experienced springer owner/breeder ... im not about to disagree with someone who knows that breed inside out
Every time!!! THAT is more about what it's about than the actual dog I think!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
The cockers around here are BONKERS! I love mad dogs but I'm not sure I could handle a cocker.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Every time!!! THAT is more about what it's about than the actual dog I think!
So, if that is the case then why do so many posters (not you that I've noticed, just using your comment) say:

''Sorry but X is not the right breed for a first time owner''?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Don't worry, I'm not trying to get you to scream (LOL) or drag the other thread in, but I did want to know your views other than just agreeing with Dale's Mum. That's all.

We've not met on here yet I don't think (hello) but I'm a first time working springer owner so I am interested in comments about it not being a good idea, as I'm sure Iso is being a boxer owner.
I'm a bit surprised that from your own experiences, you can't see why we are saying it. You had some severe problems with Woody which were almostly totally due to your inexperience and 'getting it wrong'.

In your deepest dispair there was talk of him being pts, rehomed, the lot.

Now fair play to you, you've worked at it and seem to have turned things round. But how many 'average families' will be willing to put in the work and to get the help you got from experienced dog people?

So, what advice would I give for a potential first time owner (with not even any previous 'family dog' experience)? Get some experience. Volunteer at rescue centres; if you are interested in a specific breed, get involved with the breed club. Spend as much time as possible with your 'chosen' breed before getting one of your own.

Alternatively I'd recommend that the complete novice considers an older rescue dog. Evidently not one with issues, but there are many wonderful dogs in rescue only there because of change of family circumstances (e.g. owner death), not because of behavioural issues. Personally I think this is a good introduction into dog ownership without being thrown in at the deep end with a pup and you get a much better indication of what you are getting. It also means that if dog ownership if not really for you, you've maybe only committed yourself to 5-10 years rather than the 10-15 or so you would expect when getting a pup.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2009, 04:01 PM
So what is a easy dog?

1,Coat. not too much shedding/not to much grooming/ not too much clipping/stripping

2. intelligence, clever but not too clever, easy to train

3.drive, not too strong , with a high drive breed perhaps not a "working type"

4. Dogs that will be up for a walk/ training/ activity, but will settle indoors.

***** just like men, there is no perfect dog, just what you can put up with!!! Lets face it some people shouldnt have a dog full stop!
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

Hello *waves*

Im all about whats best for the dog ... I would love another dog , possibly a flat coated retriever or red setter , but I know im not capable , yet , of giving the care , training and attention three dogs would need , so I have to wait *sulks*

Im sure you did all the research etc before getting your dog hun , and if you are both happy & healthy then its all good
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »