register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should bitches be walked during their season?
Yes they should be kept indoors for the whole of the season. 11 25.58%
No, they should be taken for walks on lead. 24 55.81%
They should be kept indoors from day 9 - 22. 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Maybe they have changed the perfume since then Shona LOL
the stuff I have kinda smells of citronela{sp?} holly quite likes having it sprayed on her bum the boys hate the sight of the tin lol
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:44 PM
i kept tilly inside as there are lots of dog in my neighbour hood also there are quite a few dogs which wander around on there own. so for tilly's and my safety i thought it better to keep her inside, she didnt seem to mind and had chance to practice her commands.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
That's interesting Shona.

I am going to buy some bitch spray but i was under the impression that dogs recognised the spray.

Keeping her in isn't an option really. She is only just 8 months and I think not having any exercise would be detrimental to her behaviour. I am planing to walk her in the forestry commision ground near us.............................

She will be able to go into the garden with supervision but then her weeing in there will draw the attention of entire males. We have an entire dobe very near to us but he doesn't have a garden so is never out off lead. I might warn them in advance though!
Don't bother getting the bitch spray my dogs used to go mad went the smelt it.

Better to give the bitch some bitch deodorant tablets & lightly spray her tail & trousers with diluted TCP. I would also carry a bottle of diluted TCP to put on her wee
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
I had two jrts who were never spayed and they stayed inside the whole of every season, and Inca stayed in for hers too.

I would not take a bitch out when in season, not fair on the dogs, other owners, etc.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
ETA: some bitches can be quite funny with other bitches in season too, just a thought

Yes, today was the first walk with another bitch. We won't be doing it again!! Not because of Tonks but because of my friends dog. I love my friend dearly, and she has done a better job of training her dog than her parents have of training their dogs, but her dog is a bully and i don't think it is well trained enough!

Its a lab, over two years old, greets everyone at eye level, covered me with mud. Her idea of playing with Tonks was to chase her, roll on her, bark at her, show her her teeth, rail road her off the path each time she tried to run and shove her into puddles!!! My friend said that the only dog that had ever bitten her dog was a staff..... i said "i'm really surprised she has not been bitten more often!!!"

So far Tonks has shown no problem with other dogs but i don't want to put her or other dogs in that position so i will be walking her alone. She so much of a baby still.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
its not other dogs that are the biggest risk its an open vulva and germs she may pick up, then after the season the vulva closes the risk of pyo are higher .

i don't walk mine is season thats just what i prefer to do the girls aren't fussed really
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Don't bother getting the bitch spray my dogs used to go mad went the smelt it.

Better to give the bitch some bitch deodorant tablets & lightly spray her tail & trousers with diluted TCP. I would also carry a bottle of diluted TCP to put on her wee
Ooo lovely thank you. I will see if i can find some of those and also do the TCP thing too. I will pour it on her wees in the garden too.
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm lucky having my own land, my females can go out and have a good run round with each other there just exercised without the boys around, when I was in England my females never went out during a season they had the use of the garden only, I also bath them the day after there last day, so that when they come back in to general population my 2 boys don't bother them.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
its not other dogs that are the biggest risk its an open vulva and germs she may pick up, then after the season the vulva closes the risk of pyo are higher .

i don't walk mine is season thats just what i prefer to do the girls aren't fussed really
That's another good reason not to do it. Mine have never been worried either.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post

I have been really lucky too, my two bitches are more than happy to lazy around doing nothing while in season,
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >