register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you use to train loose lead walking?
Flat collar 22 40.74%
Harness 8 14.81%
Head collar 15 27.78%
Other 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:34 PM
If I am walking my two together I use harnesses and two separate leads (held in the same hand). I have found that if they have their "normal" collars on or if I use a coupling lead they pull terribly. It is like a competition to see who can lead from the front
Walking them one at a time is no problem with a flat collar and lead.
If OH has both he uses half checks and a coupling lead and doesn't have any probs with them but that doesn't suit me.

Anyway to answer your question to teach loose lead walking I use a flat collar which works well when they are separate.
I have never used a head collar so can't comment on them.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I have always used a flat collar and lead with mine; but have recently ordered a head collar for both boys.

During our training class, a flat collar works fine for loose lead obedience and heelwork; but on a walk (especially if I'm walking them both alone) they pull like trains and are getting to be unmanageable.

I don't mind them not walking exactly to heel, I just don't want to be dragged all over the place by 2 weighty dogs! I don't even mind them walking out in front a bit, providing they're not straining and choking at the end of the lead (which they'll do if given half a chance).

The dogmatics arrived today, so guess what I'll be doing over Easter!?!

(Goodness, that was a ramble as well!)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by kirstya72 View Post
I have found that if they have their "normal" collars on or if I use a coupling lead they pull terribly. It is like a competition to see who can lead from the front
Walking them one at a time is no problem with a flat collar and lead.
Goodness.... sounds like your walking the Boxers!

Oh yes, even being a mere centimetre in front is preferable, even if it means choking yourself...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I have always used a flat collar and lead with mine; but have recently ordered a head collar for both boys.

During our training class, a flat collar works fine for loose lead obedience and heelwork; but on a walk (especially if I'm walking them both alone) they pull like trains and are getting to be unmanageable.

I don't mind them not walking exactly to heel, I just don't want to be dragged all over the place by 2 weighty dogs! I don't even mind them walking out in front a bit, providing they're not straining and choking at the end of the lead (which they'll do if given half a chance).

The dogmatics arrived today, so guess what I'll be doing over Easter!?!

(Goodness, that was a ramble as well!)
I like head collars and I think they teach them quickly what you want of them. I have said to OH if the last pup we had gets returned to us, I will invest in a head collar as he is so big and was used to OH doing most of the lead work with him in the end and OH's 'slight tension on the lead' and my 'slight tension on the lead' are 2 very different things...he's 6 foot 2 I'm 5 foot 2....nuff said!!!!

All these ramble converts....
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Goodness.... sounds like your walking the Boxers!

Oh yes, even being a mere centimetre in front is preferable, even if it means choking yourself...

The harnesses I have do seem to do the job They just don't pull into them.
I have to admit to sometimes getting annoyed with myself at having to use them but walking two of them with just their collars was turning into a nightmare.
I was like a crazy lady trying to control them
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:54 PM
This rambling is contagious

I think you have to find what works for your dog,as long as you can walk your dog safely, and not hurting the dog, any of these are fine.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I used to have half check collars for my 2, but they kept eating them, so they now have a check chain. I tried a Halti and they rode up on their noses, got them a dogmatic each and they eventually ate them, so am now using gentle leaders, they don't ride up on their noses into their eyes and I have excellent control over them when I am out on a trek with them. At dog training I just use a training lead and check chain, in fact we are doing mainly off lead work in the class I am in, so just carry a lead in my hand and have a girlie on either side.
I wouldn't even consider a harness as I think it encourages dogs to pull, a bit like a horse really, you have more control with a head collar than if you put a lead rope around its neck!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Never understand why people use harnesses myself, but to answer your question, I use flat leather collars only to exercise with.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I use a slip lead on mines apart from Paddy he has always had a flat collar,xxxxxxx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

With Storm I used a halti, he was ok on a normal collar but better with the halti.

Jake with a harness, ok now on a normal but used to be a nightmare and with a halti its not worth mentioning.

Star and Skye both use normal collars, I did try a harness on skye but she did pull more.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >