Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Hi dawn, I am no expert on labs to be honest what I know about the breed standered you could write on the back of a stamp! just wondered what came closest to the standered the work type lab or the show type lab, or is the standard quite broad and both fall into it,
I prefer the work labs as they look like working gun dogs, the show ones look lovley but seem a bit thick and harder to train, again this could just be the dogs I have met
The Labrador has been largely ruined by show breeders constantly breeding for heavier animals, the average show bred Lab could not do a days work IMO. The working Lab is an athletic dog that can work all day, as the breed was designed for, however some of them are too lightly made and somewhat weak in appearance again IMO. A cross between the two would be my ideal, but if I had to choose a type, it would be a working type every time.
Dawn.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 02:00 PM
A few of the work type I have seen seemed slightly long in the back giving the apperance of weak backs and even a bit sway backed, (not sure if thats the right way to put it but its what we would call a horse with a weak back)
i think your right with a mix of both giving the perfect lab, if breeders could incorporate the two it may even help with temprament in the breed, who knows.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-12-2006, 12:51 AM
I know a few breeder of working labs and I also know they would not let their dogs breed with a show dog. to get a good worker they will only breed with another good workers.
I do agree that the working breed looks better.

I also think that poor girl was just unfortunate, the dog was just tugging. Some thing it probably done most days. Such a shame.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by jade&sky View Post
my friend was riding a horse that never harmed anyone, he spooked, and smashed her face in. She needs plates in the side of her face.I know its slightly different being a horse and not a dog, but any animal can do things unexpectidly. However some dogs show some aggression before attacking someone.
How do you know the dog wasnt trying to play with the girl..if its owner played 'tug of war' with the dog...i know it proberbly wasnt playing, and was being aggressive...but who knows unless they were there. Its a hard one.
Comparing that to the Labrador standard, "with no trace of aggression or undue shyness" there are certain events that would be acceptable IMO and would spark a nervous reaction, the scenario with the Horse may of been one such incident.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7