View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Have to say I have only ever met one aggressive (to humans) Golden Retriever who was a product of a home where he was allowedto rule the roost. He was also the biggest GR I have ever seen. He eventually went to permanent foster with a rescue society.

As you say perhaps your experiences with the breed were regional.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi All, In a magazine I was reading at the vets there was an article about it being compulsory for all dogs to be trained and giving a certificate after they have completed a course. For those that did not attend, they would then be responsible for all actions that the dog might incur.

I think thats going a bit to far.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 12:28 AM
the article I read in the sun newspaper, the pictures are a bit grim and upsetting!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006060239,00.html
TR7_Ally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I was badly bitten by a working Guide Dog which was a black lab x golden & looked just like a black lab
I'm surprised at this, as Guide dogs do breed theirs for an even temperament. Still, there are always exceptions to any rule.

Having said that, my old ex-guide dog Nixon (a black Lab) could be a bit funny as he got elderly, he never ever attacked anyone or any dog but he resource guarded bones and could be a bit growly if disturbed suddenly.

I think people tend to assume too much with Labradors and don't treat them with the respect they would probably show to a supposedly "more aggressive" Dobermann, Rottweiler or similar.

It's a shame if the breed is being ruined by unthoughtful breeders who want to get class winners rather than good tempered all round dogs.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Some really good points being made here. I totally agree that overbreeding has to have a negative impact on temperament, and also that people underestimate labradors because they have such a lovely reputation. Personally I think their reputation is deserved - they're wonderful dogs... ...with the right breeding, the right owner and the right upbringing!!!

I'm not 100% surprised at these statistics though. Among the lovely labs I've known, there was a real psycho (black lab bitch). She had to be put to sleep in the end, as she'd severely bitten her owner, and then a neighbours' child, and no rescue would countenance taking her. My mum also tells that in 50 years of keeping terriers, the only time she had any trouble with dog fighting was when a black lab savaged her scottie - came out of nowhere, grabbed it round the back of the neck and shook! (Fortunately Corey was in need of a haircut and therefore impervious to anything less than a sabretooth tiger!)

I just wish people wouldn't make assumptions about labradors being suitable for every owner
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post

I just wish people wouldn't make assumptions about labradors being suitable for every owner
I have always said this, i wish people would reserch there breeds more carefully. One example having a yorkie off lead going for Star and the owner said its alright he cant do any damage.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I often get people calling for help with dogs, its gobsmacking how little they know about dogs and even more so how little they know about the breed they bought. eg, my husky pulls my collie runs round after things all the time cars, kids, and so on, the list is endless, my first comments is normaly well done, you quite clearly bought a dog bread to type, this baffles them and when I explain that years of selective breeding have gone in to producing such a dog what do they say " i bought him as I like the colour, eye colour, fav colour, kids like them, and yes even his hair will not show up too bad as its the same as the carpet!!! ddddooooohhhhh,
they have no idea what the dogs insticts are and that what they see as a problem is perfectly normal behaviour for the breed of dog they have,

that said the breeders have alot to answer for selling pups to people who clearly are not buying them for the right reasons!!
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2006, 09:47 PM
To be honest in my opinion..any dog can attack anyone. Ive known aggressive jack russles, a very soft gentle rottweiler, and have been attacked by a german shephard...and another german shephard that made me wary as she seemed alert all the time, grabbed you when you touched her, and seemed aggressive never harmed me.
I think it depends on the blood lines, what the dogs have inherited with parent behaviour, and what their up bring has been like with them and their owners.
I could be wrong but this is what i believe. I think it is wrong that a large breed should have to wear a muzzle incase it harms someone, yet an aggressvie small dog doesnt have to.
Only dogs that show any slight aggressive behaviour i think should have to wear a muzzle.
Its something really that you cant control, its a chance we all take, and most of us dont experience aggressive dogs. I would just try your best to look into that dog and its parents as best you can, when choosing.
Just my opinion you dont have to agree.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 10:20 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the handling of the dogs. If the owners are irresponsible then you are going to have an element of aggression.
Muzzles should only be used on dogs with aggression to others while out on walks. Not for dogs which chew!
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-11-2006, 10:51 PM
When i was a youngster I was bit by a few dogs, a Lab, a Jack Russel and a lassie dog ( i can't remember the breed)
It was probably my fault for 2 of them. I agree that any dog can attack if not properly trained.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >