View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

27-11-2006, 10:22 PM
After the rottie attack a few weeks ago there was a report in Dog World on agressive breeds, It is a fact that you are most likely to be bitten by a golden retriever, a border collie and a gsd in that order - If you look at it they are the most numerous of the breeds.

I am certain that the unscrupulous breeders will go on producing puppies from unsound stock, and some of those
breeders may well be among the top kennels, being a good winner in the ring does not guarantee a good tempera

ment - I know cos I used to show dobes, and when I was doing it there were some very firey dogs about, luckily most breeders set about improving the dobes so that they were livable with - incidently all mine were, for which I have to thank a caring breeder. And it is also a fact that Rottie, Lab, Dobe. GSD bites person or another dog makes good headlines. who bothers to report the bite of a Yorkie , or a Peke, even jack russells seem to be too small to be worth reporting. It is always "Give a dog a bad name -------- or in this case it is "Give a breed a bad name-------Kath
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Blimey Trouble thats a HUGE percentage of Labs biting, very worrying.
Dawn.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Although it does also say

99.9% of all dogs, from all breeds, will never be involved in an attack at any time in their lives.

I was more shocked that a yorkie had managed to be responsible for a fatality
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2006, 10:38 PM
And I loved this paragraph
We have not yet come across a single incident of unprovoked aggression by a dog, that couldn't have been easily prevented by appropriate training or supervision. When put this simply, we wonder why authorities choose NOT to hold the dog's owners wholly responsible? Any attempts to blame the dog are merely a way of excusing irresponsible dog owners for their negligence. If dog owners are excused from accountability, they will repeat their offences."

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
We have not yet come across a single incident of unprovoked aggression by a dog, that couldn't have been easily prevented by appropriate training or supervision. When put this simply, we wonder why authorities choose NOT to hold the dog's owners wholly responsible? Any attempts to blame the dog are merely a way of excusing irresponsible dog owners for their negligence. If dog owners are excused from accountability, they will repeat their offences."

Thats what most responsible dog owners want, for people to take responsibility for the dogs actions, I'd go along with that.
Dawn.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2006, 10:43 PM

Absolutely spot on
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 10:54 PM
hi Dawn, there was a big write up recently (a few months ago ) in dog world about labs and alot of it was very negative in respect of temprament, I must admit over the years I have seen a big decline in the breed, most of the dogs involved seem to be from show kennel lines and not so much the working dogs, I have had a good deal more calls from owners having problems with dog on dog aggression in there lab, I personaly have not felt when working with these dogs that there had been any threat to me, but thats only in the dogs I have seen, can I also say from what I hear it seems more prominent in brown and black as apposed to the yellow/cream
its such a shame as they are nice dogs and normaly even first time owners find them easy to cope with,
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Call me a cynic but there always seems to be stories about so called “good breeds” appearing a few weeks after “aggressive breeds” are reported to have attacked people as I remember a few month ago after a couple of cases of staffys attacking people was soon followed of goldens attacking people.

I wonder if this is the media covering their backs and even if its not it goes to show that any breed of dog is capable of being aggressive despite what the breed standard says and at the end of the day its down to the owners. Bad breeding does not help as this is shows with the amount of labs being breed coinciding with an increase in cases of aggression and biting.

What I am trying to say is: That there is increases in aggression but with the amount of labs breed it was always going to happen and the fact the media are continuing portraying certain popular breeds as “devil dogs” and people are quite often led by the media they will change the dog they have to a “cuddly” lab without researching the breed and not knowing how to train them properly leading to the dog biting a child leading to them contacting a rescue centre.

With the case of the French woman, none of us here know her or the dog and there have been so many conflicting reports in different areas so I feel it is wrong for to comment about this.
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-11-2006, 11:46 PM
this is nothing new to me and i have been trying to explain this for a long time , just like human we are going to get dogs no matter what breed they are biting its owner or killing another dog no matter how good the breeding or how bad the breeding every dog has its own individual charactor and like human,s you are going to get good and bad just my opinion
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 12:26 AM

yes I too agree with this, you often hear the statement that "there was no warning" there is always a warning however subtle, IMO dogs learn aggression its not something they just do one day,( a dog attacked by another dog may after the attack be aggressive but there is a trigger ) its a build up of behaviour often missed by owners, there is always the exception to the rule but so far I have not met one, all the aggression I have encountered had cause, be it owners, an incident where the dog was harmed, fear, the list is endless, but there is always a huge part where the owner should have seen it coming, again I think dog owners should pass a test like the theory driving test, before owning a dog,
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »