Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Were did I say human aggression

Re.highlighted, I think I said that!!
No, you very clearly implied that it was in a pit bull nature to be a timebomb and that only a very experienced owner could safely prevent that.

The truth is that pit bull are, by nature, among the safest of dogs around people. They can be made aggressive, as can any breed, but in such a case a pit bull is a danger to the extent that it deviates from its nature, not complies with it.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Did I, were did I mention the DDA??

I referred to the fact that people use the pit in the UK for fighting, and that they were an illegal breed...

Never mentioned the DDA.... that I think is your misinterpretation!
The relevent post is #18 where the law banning four breeds (that being the DDA) was being discussed. You said:

The law may not be working, but that does not mean we should just abandon it, while people are breeding dogs for the fighting ring, the law must stand, and be ENFORCED, but as always its the dogs that suffer for the abuse of the owner.
my emphasis

The law you are clearly refering to is the law banning the four breeds. That is the DDA. A few posts later (#21), and in reply to my comments on the DDA, you replied:

Surely enforcing it more stringently would be better.
If the "it" here does not refer to the DDA then your post makes no sense

If I am misinterpreting you and you are talking about a different law then you might be in the wrong thread.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
if you arent talking about human aggression, then in what way are they a time bomb??

i dont know much about what happened here, in the UK (im not old enough too), but in america many APBTs are just getting taken off their owners and PTS. considering what happened with Staffs in merseyside, i doubt the UK let all dogs live out their life.

so why cant we use that excuse then?? its true, it is the owners not the breed
I think when the law was brought in there where restrictions fo existing dogs, , they where allowed to live out their natural lifespan.

Today is different we are talking about a breed that is ILEGAL, and as such will be siezed.

Originally Posted by Freysterdewdrop View Post
I have an aunt in the USA. She owns and has bred pitbulls. Her dogs are so sweet natured and have never attacked another animal because they have been raised correctly. , IMO

And I think if you read my posts again, you will see I said, that we dont (here in the UK ) have the privilege of breeding for the family pet market, of such breeds, and consequently those that are being bred are sadly bred by the people which dont have the breeds welfare at heart.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
The relevent post is #18 where the law banning four breeds (that being the DDA) was being discussed. You said:

my emphasis

The law you are clearly refering to is the law banning the four breeds. That is the DDA. A few posts later (#21), and in reply to my comments on the DDA, you replied:

If the "it" here does not refer to the DDA then your post makes no sense

If I am misinterpreting you and you are talking about a different law then you might be in the wrong thread.

No, right thread, was answering this post by John bull, who diverted from the original question .

not know the last 3 breeds, but I do know the Pit Bull - a lovely dog, but not to the stalwarts in charge of our health and welfare.
The Pit Bull was considered by the UK Government as a bigger threat to our nation than that made by Adolf Hitler in 1940, when he intended to challenge the might of the Royal Navy by invading our Great Island in an armada of wooden paddle boats from occupied Holland.
So to make it clear, I was not referring to the DDA , but to the law concerning an illegal breed, the PITBUL!

Hope that helps
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 09:47 PM
So to make it clear, I was not referring to the DDA , but to the law concerning an illegal breed, the PITBUL!

Hope that helps
That doesn't help.

The DDA (abbreviated form of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, as amended 1997) is the law that bans pit bull types. What law are you talking about?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I think when the law was brought in there where restrictions fo existing dogs, , they where allowed to live out their natural lifespan.

Today is different we are talking about a breed that is ILEGAL, and as such will be siezed.
since when have Staffs been illegal?
Freysterdewdrop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:55 PM

And I think if you read my posts again, you will see I said, that we dont (here in the UK ) have the privilege of breeding for the family pet market, of such breeds, and consequently those that are being bred are sadly bred by the people which dont have the breeds welfare at heart.
But someone has already said that they would have a PB if they could and I would certainly have one. I would have the dogs welfare at heart. If the DDA was lifted then PB could be bred for family homes. Instead of looking at the fact that they are a 'dangerous breed' shouldnt the government be sifting out the pieces of scum who put these dogs through hell?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Freysterdewdrop View Post
But someone has already said that they would have a PB if they could and I would certainly have one. I would have the dogs welfare at heart. If the DDA was lifted then PB could be bred for family homes. Instead of looking at the fact that they are a 'dangerous breed' shouldnt the government be sifting out the pieces of scum who put these dogs through hell?
i would want one as well. they are lovely, one of my fave breeds.

the government should definitely start with the scum... its getting ridiculous what these people can get away with
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Hmmm....having met, and worked with a number of APBT, I do like them as a breed. I have only met 1 that showed agression to people, and that was because it had been mistreated.
Some of the ones I have met/worked with had been used for illegal fighting, but still showed no agression to humans, or even the other dogs in the kennels!

I do like the breed, and think it is a shame that they were made illegal to own, but at the time perhaps it was for the best, as at this moment in time, when there are a lot of idiot owners, probably still the best thing.
Would I ever own one? If they were ever taken off the DDA, and we had good lines to breed from (probably imports?), then it would be a breed I would consider.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Breed specific legislation is a category error.

http://www.gladwell.com/2006/2006_02_06_a_pitbull.html
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »