Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Insurance

Can anyone recommend an insurer that wont exclude me because I may breed a pedigree litter ? It seems to be OK if you 'accidentally' have a litter (I've never had one of those in the last 18 years of keeping entire dogs and bitches together) but if I allow my imported male dog - bought in because a) I love him and b) he carries unique genes, to be used at stud, I cant insure him.
Likewise, I have bought in a bitch who carries my old lines and if I spend months researching stud dogs health results and pedigree lines, if I have a litter from her to improve my breed, I cant get insurance.

And before anyone asks - yes they have had all health tests required plus the ones I require, they have excellent temperaments and I have a list a yard long of people wanting my puppies who I cannot ever hope to satisfy.

Thalice's Mum
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Would the Kennel Club not insure him?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-10-2013, 06:35 PM
These people do breeder insurance. Am in the middle of a row with them because they refuse point blank to put Utonagan on their menu, still arguing with them over this because all the major companies will insure Utonagan, but I would imagine you'll be fine with them
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/vetuk-pet-ins...e-64/chapter/0
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Contact the KC's Breeder Insurance scheme
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
These people do breeder insurance. Am in the middle of a row with them because they refuse point blank to put Utonagan on their menu, still arguing with them over this because all the major companies will insure Utonagan, but I would imagine you'll be fine with them
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/vetuk-pet-ins...e-64/chapter/0
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Contact the KC's Breeder Insurance scheme
Thanks folks - I never thought of ther Kennel Club - Doh !!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 08:01 PM
What is the reason the insurance companies who refuse to insure give for refusing to insure if you 'breed a pedigree litter'?
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
What is the reason the insurance companies who refuse to insure give for refusing to insure if you 'breed a pedigree litter'?
It seems to be lumped in with working dogs - ie guard dogs, working gundogs. I think it is because they consider it using the dog for some sort of profit. However, English Setters are a native breed at risk because we have so few puppies born each year. They are in danger of becoming extinct. There are only a few committed breeders, perhaps only one of whom breeds commercially. I have never bred a litter for profit (in fact I am well into the debit side !!) I breed purely to improve the breed and only when I am in a position to keep one or more puppies . Our dogs are pets first and foremost and part of our family. I do show them in order to test them out against the breed standard - and with some success.

I do more health tests than are required, no bitch is bred from under 2 years old and no bitch has more than 2 litters (no matter how much she wants them !!). I never rehome any of them because they are too old/had their quota of puppies/have been neutered.
I support all my puppy owners - and those who have puppies from other breeders. I am totally committed to my dogs and my chosen breed.

But for goodness sake, I cannot insure anyone who is not neutered for a reasonable price.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-10-2013, 11:04 PM
I would have thought insurance companies love breeders - as often you buy a puppy and it comes with 6 weeks free insurance (as often the owner will take out a full policy after the trial is up) at least mine did. Have they stopped doing that now?

Good luck with the litter, are English Setters still at risk of extinction because so few litters are being bred? Stunning dogs.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Hopefully the link you've been given by Joedee will sort your problem. I had no idea that most insurance companies were against insurance entire dogs/bitches but that would probably account for why my entire dog's insurance is so high not that I would ever breed from him. As Azz says they are only too happy to take your money for insurance puppies for the first 6 weeks.

English Setters are beautiful dogs and as you say are now very scarce.
Good luck and let us know.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Oh AZZ has taken me down memory lane. I remember that free six weeks' insurance - full refund of all your money for dogs I bought in the past. Remember also thinking they probably don't have to pay out on it much as who on earth would just give their lovely puppy back when they've had it home for a week let alone six weeks!

I was offered full refund for purchase price for Bella (only because they were going to have to pay the vet bill and that had risen above purchase price - I declined as I knew she would just be put down) they then offered half the vet bill but I was so disgusted with breeder, seller and the vet at the time that I even declined that and insisted on paying the vet myself - wanted to get Bella out of there and never have to set eyes on any of them again. By that time I'd have only been satisfied with dumping the lot of them out at sea!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >