Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I use positive training along with one aversion technique and CM's philosophy of being calm and assertive.

I don't alpha roll my dogs (although anti CM people seem to think that every person who likes CM spends 23 hours of their day alpha rolling anything that comes within a 3 mile radius) and I don't prod or poke them (unless I want to sit on the settee and they are in the way)

The 'sh!' noise isn't mandatory either - I personally use 'pack it in!'. Other phrases could be 'Oi!', 'Behave!', 'No!', 'stop' or any number of phrases that people use to distract their dog from what they are doing.

I don't like his use of prong collars but I think he has much to teach the numpties in America who don't even realise that dogs need to go out for a walk.

After reading what people have to say about him I have re-evaluated my thoughts on him and realised I don't like everything he does. But I still believe his underlying philosophy is good.

Excellent post and I totally agree
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I use positive training along with one aversion technique and CM's philosophy of being calm and assertive.

I don't alpha roll my dogs (although anti CM people seem to think that every person who likes CM spends 23 hours of their day alpha rolling anything that comes within a 3 mile radius) and I don't prod or poke them (unless I want to sit on the settee and they are in the way)

The 'sh!' noise isn't mandatory either - I personally use 'pack it in!'. Other phrases could be 'Oi!', 'Behave!', 'No!', 'stop' or any number of phrases that people use to distract their dog from what they are doing.

I don't like his use of prong collars but I think he has much to teach the numpties in America who don't even realise that dogs need to go out for a walk.

After reading what people have to say about him I have re-evaluated my thoughts on him and realised I don't like everything he does. But I still believe his underlying philosophy is good.

Tis a good post!!!! i dont think you sound CM like at all now, you can move in with "trouble" (in my head of CM fans that dont really CM!) good common sense!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks Mish - ah you've all taught me a lot since I joined

Thanks Mooblie
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by salmon8ter View Post
So everyone that hates the way he trains dogs should just get over themselves and their self righteous and pious attitudes and get a life.
Oh I am SO over myself! And I do have a life (I think!) The posts above explain beautifully what I was trying to say earlier, when I got up someone`s nose That every trainer has something to teach us, but we need to use the brains we are given to filter out what isn`t for us. No-one has The Answer to every dog`s problem. However you can usually find something of interest in anyone`s method ...although I`m struggling a bit with Barbara Woodhouse still!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Great and refreshing post xxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by salmon8ter View Post
Okay, I can't stand all these people here bashing Cesar Milan for whatever reason they just dislike the man. What he does is help out a lot of people who without him would be lost and in the end would give up there dogs to a shelter. I think what he does is excellent. He is not cruel as many on this site would say. He doesn't abuse these dogs as many would like to think, maybe in these "Cesar Milan hater's" mind they are looking for some reason not to like him. Is it because he's successful, or American, or has his own TV show, maybe they hate him because he's better looking than they are? I don't know but for those who think he's a bad trainer or a cruel person and dislike him, you need to look at yourself and see that maybe what you do or how you train is cruel and mean. Maybe since you are so smart and so much better than him, you too! could have a successful TV show, oh, guess what? You don't. Get over it. Everyone has their own methods. Apparently the people he helps have used methods that didn't work for them, his methods did. His collar that he developed is not cruel or aggressive or hurting the dog in any way. It simply redirects the focus of the dog's attention away from where it shouldn't be. So everyone that hates the way he trains dogs should just get over themselves and their self righteous and pious attitudes and get a life.
Some valid points raised, IMO.
idlejune
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Sorry you were upset by my questions , but you haven`t answered any! Most people I know use a variety of methods to train their dogs - along with a lot of their own instinct and common sense. Vitriolic? I refute that! I wasn`t nasty - just surprised by this unquestioning support of a controversial method.
The reason I didn't answer your questions is that I didn't know I had to. I find your attitude overbearing and presumptious. You have no idea of the method which I used or the problem that it was used to treat. So could you please tell me what the "controversial method" was to which I gave my "unquestioning support"? Aah if only I knew as much as you do about dogs then I too could pontificate about silly ignorant uninstinctual people like myself lacking in common sense.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:12 AM
For me, & ive said it before. No one can ever ever ever convince me the treatment of that sheltie (with the toaster)was right. & nothing ive seen since has convinced me otherwise.

Im not jealous of him & his TV show, i dont hate him cos hes american, Infact when i watchhed the credits i was SO excited about watching the programme, the credits were so awesome,

I just think hes crap & has set the dog world back .

He cannot analyse a dog correctly slapping these stupid terms on them merely to up his own status(& thats to himself not the dogs). Ive seen him completly misread a situation (White GSD in yard full of rubbish springs to mind) & be so SH*T scared, & had to keep say "calm & assertive" to almost convince himself!!!! it was laughable if the dog wasnt so scared.

& when he says the dog is surrendering , but it cant actually breathe, then he gives alittle with the collar & it fights (ie yes because it can actually breathe again) so he labels the dog strong, its brain is telling it that you are strangling it to death its trying to get away from you!!!!!!

Oh dear

Still that is JMO, & clearly not everyones.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Some dogs need kind handling, some dogs need firmer handling, what will work for one wont work for another. There is no doubting that his methods do work, as do other trainers, however Ive yet to see another trainer with 40 dogs including ex fighting Pit Bulls, Beaucerons, Rottweilers and tiny Chihuahua's etc.. all living peacefully together!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Some dogs need kind handling, some dogs need firmer handling, what will work for one wont work for another. There is no doubting that his methods do work, as do other trainers, however Ive yet to see another trainer with 40 dogs including ex fighting Pit Bulls, Beaucerons, Rottweilers and tiny Chihuahua's etc.. all living peacefully together!

So you tailor the training dont you? dont use the same technique on a rescue pbt as you do a sheltie. Thats BASIC training skills, instinctive training is what sets the really good trainers apart, IMO that man has discovered a method that works (whatever the flaws) & uses it carte blanche, that is what i dont like. He cannot defer from it because he is too wrapped up in his own hype & cant see the flaws in it.

Also if someone on here had 40 dogs living together id think it was quite bad, & some sort of collection freak. If they truely are sorted out rehome them . you cant give 40 dogs 1-2-1 attention. Id not go to some one that had 40 dogs in a yard for training either,
Page 12 of 40 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »