View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Gildy the ones I put out were shelled. They were just some left over from last Christmas and I couldn't find the nutcrackers so I had to bash them with a brick...not good for the fingers. Have bought some nutcrackers now I put shelled walnuts out as well as our local health food shop sells them fairly cheaply and I buy them for the parrots anyway.

Thanks Ashlady even though they've been about for a few weeks and I had seen quite a bit of them it was really nice to see them using the feeder.As the leaves drop and the natural food sources reduce I think I will put another feeder on the apple tree which is closer to the house, something like the ones you have I think
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Emm
I would feed any animals that wanted some food - I find it really offensive when people start discriminating between which animal deserves our help in getting food and which animal dosen't.

I certainly don't mean to cause offence and good luck to all of you that enjoy your squirrels but I personally would not encourage squirrels into my garden.

I wouldn't cause any harm to any animal of course but I do not feed and thereby encourage wild animals that could be a danger to my animals or become prevalent in to my garden. Hence I don't feed Mr Foxy as I have chickens and so Mr Foxy just goes elsewhere for his food

eta :- I just went into the garden with the pup and two (poss more) squirrels were dashing about in the two large trees and I must admit I did watch their acrobatics with a smile.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Het we had one outside the kitchen window and it used to jump on the window ledge and i could feed it out of my hand its so nice when something wild trusts you like that isn't it

Hope you get yours as well
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 11:04 AM
aww thanks Fred, what a beautiful picture
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-10-2005, 11:09 AM
We don't get red squirrells here only the greys and I love to watch them there are loads out and about at the moment collecting acorns for the winter.Have seen a red squirrel though in London think it was Kensington Gardens the park there,that has the Peter Pan tree in it and where Princess Di,lived.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Mixed feelings about squirrels...its a trade off. They are fun to watch and until this year, I am unaware that any visited, And we've been here about 45 years.

They appear occasionally and often only one at a time. I don't get out much so having the wildlife come to me is welcome. Its a trade off. I noticed that initially my bird feeders were being attacked and a neighbour mentioned that his feeders were being toppled and the contents spread on the floor.

So, since putting a few monkey nuts about the feeders have been left alone and they are less likely to go after birds eggs etc...which they can do.

The same could be said that by feeding the birds if the food is available they may possibly stop attacking each other as they are more likely to do so when food is in short supply and Blue Tits have been known to attack our property but nowthey have both nuts and seed available, they are more interested in that so our house remains safe.

So I suppose we are are working with and adapting to the wildlife around us.

I've heard it said that if certain animals become pests or a bother you just stop feeding for a few weeks and they'll go elsewhere and then you can resumme again.

Gildy
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Hi there Gildy and all. Yes I will agree that certain members of the wild community can be a nusance, but I have always been of the opinion that all are welcome at Cafe Ash and (so far) this attitude has served me well.

My bird feeders are the RSPB metal ones (bought when we had money! ) and they have prooved to be a sound investment. They are too heavy to be lifted off their hooks and therefore, remain where they are for all who use them (squirrels incuded) The little white tube I use to put the squirrel nuts in is secured in place with a cable tie, so that stays put too

I also have Henry (the rescued hedgehog) and his girlfriend now (awwww) whose food is put on a plate under a home made cover so the larger birds cannot access it.

I totally agree with your comment about them all getting along when there is no competition for food. On the ground feeder in the mornings there are Doves by sparrows by chaffinches by magpies by blackbirds, all dining together
and I have a really bad photo of a dozen or more sparrows waiting on the fence for a squirrel to finish removing seed from their feeder.

May I ask how much you paid for your hazlenuts? the reason is that you may find buying them in the shell prooves more expensive as you are buying the shell as well, only to throw it away, I buy shelled nuts from the market at 70p per 100g - I don't know how this compares.

Must fly Gildy, I am supposed to be working .

Have a good afternoon, speak soon, AL xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Well I live in the middle of the country like Het, and I will continue to feed the squirrells no matter what colour they are, coz I know we won't be lucky enough to have any reds here, Bill Oddie told me that. I also see a little mouse running up the hedge for his breakfast, and I know we shouldn't encourage them either, but as long as he stays outside then what's the harm in that. We have had rats in the past due to our neighbours keeping chickens and putting out scraps, and although I have the rat man in every year, just to be safe, we haven't had any now since the neighbours left 2 years ago, and took their chickens with them! I cannot see that cute little squirrels are related to rats, and I will carry on feeding mine. My other philosophy on this is, if I feed the squirrell he will leave my bird feeders alone, otherwise he makes great big holes in the plastic ones, so he gets his own food, peanuts, hazlenuts and sunflower hearts. If I get my hedgehogs back, they will get fed too!

You lucky thing Het, I can't wait for some pics over the week-end. I'd like one of you too with all your camouflage gear on and war paint hiding in the hedge!
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Hello AL,

I cannot see me being fortunate to get Hedgehogs because of all the fences around my property now(for all I know there could be some that manage to get into the front garden and I have seen two during my time here)of course the front of the house is open and I suspect that they may wander down from the little dean/beck not too far away but as more houses are built and take over nearer their habitat, they probably get any that go exploring.

I have had frogs and toads too but again they are less likely now. So it will have to be Birds and Squirrels

I haven't a market selling nuts and health shops are about 7 miles away which may sell such items but as I write this(I can probably find a place via the net that would be ok to supply and pricewise)so when I got them yesterday it had to be a supermarket. From memory I saw 100g unshelled at £1.40 and mine were £1.99 for 400g in shells.

I know what you mean about the RSPB metal feeders, I suppose you pay for quality but inexpensive...they are not especially if you need a few. I have thought of them since aquiring my Squirrel but so far my feeders are not being affected too much and just maybe this plan of scattering a few extra's has helped.

Helena, I think the reference to Squirrels being "Rats With Tails!" is just a phrase that has stuck and depends what side you are standing on the for or against debate about Grey Squirrels. Your story about about the neighbours with chickens once again proves the trade off we as Humans have with our wildlife.

I do worry that the Bird Flu we are told is coming may result in alot of ignorance and persecusion of those of us feeding them and the birds themselves as alot of wrong information will probably be reported by the media. Many garden birds will not be affected and as long as hygene is followed most of what is caught by Humans will be from contact between Humans.

Het, back to Squirrels, that's quite a view about bashing the Hazlenuts with a brick. I have a spare house brick and suspect that's what I'll have to do with these that I have bought

I can definately see the weather is changing and Autumn is here.

Gildy x

Just found out This year October 29th is RSPB Feed the Birds Day 2005
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Any pics yet Het, we are still waiting??? Maybe you might get some over the week-end, I dooooo hope so, I'm looking forward to seeing your little red squizzells!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >