View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 05:05 PM
My way of thinking too, I would offer to help, but my cats have had a hard time getting used to this new puppy, now 20mnths, everything on four legs is a play thing, and my cats have never been without dogs around.
Mum-in-Law sounds a possible, what about taking a photo, and putting notices in the local shops etc., thats if she is not chipped, they can travel miles if it is a tom un done. Blaze was around for a couple of months before I put a notice in the village shop, and it still took a week before the owner rang me, still ended up with him though. good Luck
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 07:29 PM
I think I would try a really strong appeal to your mother-in-law. Could you perhaps say you have a real problem, a cat has turned up on your doorstep and you really need some help. She will probably understand that you cannot keep her with your greyhound. She may agree to take the cat if only temporarily.

In any event, I think I would get the cat and take it home with me - is it possible that the dog and cat can be kept separately, perhaps the cat in a shed or garage, or even a room upstairs. E-mail a photograph of the cat in your house to your mother-in-law and appear real helpless. If this doesn't work, it maybe that the CPL will have some room in a few days, especially if you keep contacting them. I hope things can work out - This cat must have belonged to someone who had her indoors. You could also try a local advert (shops, vet, local paper) as somebody may be looking for her.
Maureen19
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, if it were myself I know exactly what I would do, indeed have done in the past as I have rescued both dogs and cats that were in need of human help.

Firstly, this cat clearly needs help in some way.

For the people who say just leave it where it is and dont feed it, I totally disagree with this, where will this get anybody least of all the cat.

You said initially that the Cats protection would take it but cant do it yet.... well I suggest you phone them and find out exactly when they can take it and at the same time lay it on thickly to them that they are there to rescue abandoned cats and you have one that needs their help, not next week but NOW. Again I would even go so far as saying to them if it were myself that I have no alternative but to leave it on their doorstep in a carrier and then they will have to do something!

I agree with you that the RSPCA arent too good, they do good but also dont do what they could on all occasions and it is not true that they dont put animals down, they do and I am not sure how long they keep them there before doing this, so these would be my last hope, but I suppose better than the poor mite is now, alone with no one to care enough to stop talking and get something constructive done.

I am sorry to come across like this, and am sure you are worried over the cat to even post in the first place, but forget about Mum in laws. Or as someone suggested, keeping the cat yourself maybe in an upstairs room permanently..... anyone who knows Greyhounds knows most of them would kill a cat unless brought up with one.

Sorry but you have one option only before the poor thing just wanders off, gets run over or whatever, it cannot just stay at the bottom of this garden and the person whose garden it is in (I believe a friend of yours) it has to be said, doesnt seem to care too much about cats to say just to leave it and not feed it.

Take the cat home with you if you can and keep it in a secure place with a litter tray food and water, until the Cats protection can take it for you, but above all keep hounding them that this cat needs their help and this is what they are a Charity for.

At the moment it appears there is NO ROOM AT THE INN for this little mite and only yourself that cares enough to try and help it.

I wish you luck, but please do as I say and not just leave it with out food.

Gee the times I have done this, caught strays, or fed them to keep them where they were nd made sure there was a box or something secure they could stay in until I could get the Cat people to come and rescue them. I even worry about the pets I dont know of or see that are being ill treated but then thats just me. GOOD LUCK I hope you get it some help before it vanishes.
Maureen19
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi again,

Have you tried www.catchat.org
Click onto the map for Yorkshire and it lists many cat rescues, I cant believe not one of these would say to you to bring the at along to them.

I used to live in Yorkshire when we had a Quarantine and boarding kennels and cattery there and have been racking my brain to think of anybody I know who could help...

Maybe even try ringing a Boarding cattery or two in the area, sometimes the owners have tie ups with cat and dog rescue bodies, its worth a try.

Good luck for the kitty,
Maureen
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Maureen19 View Post
Hi again,

Have you tried www.catchat.org
Click onto the map for Yorkshire and it lists many cat rescues, I cant believe not one of these would say to you to bring the at along to them.

I used to live in Yorkshire when we had a Quarantine and boarding kennels and cattery there and have been racking my brain to think of anybody I know who could help...

Maybe even try ringing a Boarding cattery or two in the area, sometimes the owners have tie ups with cat and dog rescue bodies, its worth a try.

Good luck for the kitty,
Maureen
Thanks, you have been really helpful, i will keep trying all the options suggested, i won't give up. xxx
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi,

firstly, good for you that you've taken this cats welbeing to heart!!!!!

Believe me, you do not tie a cat to you for life simply by feeding it for a while! Chances are that this cat has simply temporarily lost it's bearings and needs a little time to find it's way home.... So please please feed it! One of my own elderly cats (but she looks very young as she's simply small) went missing for 4 weeks last year, we had given up on her as there were no sightings anywhere but after 4 weeks she came home, a little worse for the wear but home non the less, and I will be forever grateful to the kind souls who fed her during those weeks... They gave her the strength to find her way home! She's now 18, totally blind but still very happy... She's purring snuggled up next to me as I type.... She has however never left our garden since she came home... One long adventure was enough....
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3