Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:42 PM

Fireworks-should i still walk my dog?

One of my dogs is very scared of fireworks. I hate this time of year because as usual people have started setting off fireworks, even before dark....what is that all about??!!
Anyway one of my dogs couldn't care less about fireworks but my male dog is petrified. I was just wondering if other people walk their dogs at this time of year even if they are scared? At the moment Wizard misses out on his night time walk as i don't want to add to his anxiety. I feel like a bad mummy!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Roxy is the same, and getting her out for a pee, even in the garden, is a nightmare once the flipping fireworks have started.

Don't feel guilty - you're trying to relieve his stress by not walking him

x0x
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for that, makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't personally walk - work on making evenings a fun time - play times with a ball - training fun stuff like twirls/rollovers etc and feeding in fun ways (treat balls/rolling the food etc)

Its hard having a noise sensitive dog - my first one was. Good luck getting through this time.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2008, 05:26 PM
I wont be walking mine after 4, before, on and the day after firework night. It just isnt worth upsetting them IMO
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2008, 06:45 PM
at this time of year i couldn't get hooch to go out in the dark even if i wanted too. he knows darkness means noise, he won't even play with his fav toy. i just take him out for his second walk in the afternoon.he will go out in the garden for his before bed wee, but talk about making a dash for it. bless him
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 07:39 PM
awe... I wouldnt walk him if hes stressed... hugs.

My lot are sensitive to feck all.. well mabey shampoo...bath times there biggy stress...

hugs hope it flys by for you... the problem is these days it goes on for weeks.. and weeks.. so upsetting for animals
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Agree, skip the walks at this time. One of our two hates fireworks even 'tho the nearest ones are a mile or so away she doesn't like the noise. I'm convinced it's because she can't see what is causing the noise and so she can't 'confront' it. Anything she can see she's never afraid of regardless of size or ferrocity.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
awe... I wouldnt walk him if hes stressed... hugs.

My lot are sensitive to feck all.. well mabey shampoo...bath times there biggy stress...

hugs hope it flys by for you... the problem is these days it goes on for weeks.. and weeks.. so upsetting for animals
thats the annoying thing, it goes on for weeks, they should only be on sale for the few days before. i heard one a bit earlier tonight, but strangely we havn't had as many yet as other years, there's time yet of course. Toby hates them, he quite enjoys his dark night walks, (not as many motorbikes around, another pet hate ), then out come the fireworks and ruin it for him. It's when a big bang one goes off, that's the worst, it gives him such a shock, met too actually!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 07:57 PM
One of ours isn't keen on fireworks so I don't take them out in the evening if there is a chance a firework will go off - my OH is around during the daytime so he walks them then anyway. Once the fireworks start they won't even go out for a wee.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >